Author Topic: 51 1/2" Sinew backed osage  (Read 7679 times)

Offline possum

51 1/2" Sinew backed osage
« on: April 10, 2008, 12:55:01 am »
Well, I finished her.  She's 51 1/2" ntn 45@24".  She has , I believe, 3 courses of sinew and 1 strip down the center to round it out.  She gained weight on me so I had to reduce her weight back to 45# after letting her reacclimate. 

here she is at brace

lower limb tip side view

lower tip front view

upper tip side view

upper tip front view

lower limb

upper limb

handle at arrow pass

belly showing string tracking

closest I can come to a full draw pic, wife's at work.

possum
"To ensure peace, security, and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good." George Washington

mebane NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: 51 1/2" Sinew backed osage
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 12:59:24 am »
Nice...what kind of Skins....Copperhead...and what??

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 01:04:26 am »
Nice, what does the side profile look like unbraced? Only a 24" draw thats short. Is that your normal draw length or were you afraid to crank it back all the way because of the length of the bow?
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline ahawi stick

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 01:22:02 am »
Great looking bow Possum, nice job on the tips and creative splice with the skins, tiller looks right on braced and bent; hard to beat osage and sinew covered with serpent! 8)
" The Right To Keep And Bear Arms"..Bows, Arrows, Spears, Celts...  Kevin , North Carolina

Offline possum

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 01:23:55 am »
Yes, that is copperhead and black rat snake.  I had only one copperhead skin and could never find another one to match so I just built a short bow and spliced it.  I had that skin for 3 years waiting for a match then I started liking the short bows... convenient.

Side profile after shooting is about 3/4" string follow but goes back to about1/2" reflex to the nocks, not horn tips.

I didn't go crazy on the reflexing due to a crazy time I had on an earlier short sinewbacked bow I could never get strung after the sinew cured and got hold of it. >:( ::)  I just wanted to reduce string follow and keep it from breaking.

As for the 24", I cannot straighten my arm due to cerebral palsy and the short length of the bow.  I s'pose both play a factor.  I normally draw 25-26, depending on the weight of the bow. ::)

possum
"To ensure peace, security, and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good." George Washington

mebane NC

Offline Keenan

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 02:20:43 am »
Possum I'm very impressed. Nice looking bow with lots of character and you did real good on those tips. Your angles match the flow of the bow nicely in the relaxed and the braced position.  The only thing I would suggest is to soften the corner of the string grove and maby a bit more angle on the groves in the future. Not trying to be critical, just trying to give a helpfull coment. This will help your strings last longer. Tiller looks great,  Good job ;D ;)  Keenan

Dustybaer

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 02:43:06 am »
wow, she's purty.  love the way she bends but the skinjob and the tips are superb.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 10:08:38 am »
Very nice. Possum, are you a George Jones fan? The possum..... ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline TRACY

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 10:12:03 am »
I like! Great job with tiller. Looks like deadly turkey bow to me.
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 10:42:25 am »
Beautiful bow,very nice tiller and the finish work looks great[tiips/skins] Very well done. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 10:49:58 am »
very nicely done possum, I like the contrast between the different snake skins. Its different.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline possum

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 10:54:34 am »
Thanks everyone.   :)No, the name came from the fact everyone found out I stopped and picked up a roadkill possum.  They just didn't understand they have beautiful fur.  :-\

possum

mebane NC

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 11:01:14 am »
Nice work possum! That is a shorty - good brush bow. I see your in Mebane, do you get together with DBernier?
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline possum

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2008, 12:57:35 pm »
I have spoken with him over the phone once.  But with kids, school, dr appts, oh yeah, work... you get the idea.  I would love to get together though.  I just gotta free my schedule. :-\

possum

mebane NC

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2008, 01:02:08 pm »
Short bows always impress me and this is very impressive! Quite the tips, too.
Great candidate for April Self Bow of the Month.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday