Author Topic: Burnt Offering  (Read 9829 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Burnt Offering
« on: May 29, 2019, 07:53:17 am »
This is a HHB bendy with static recurves. I cut this tree about four years ago from my farm. It's from the same tree I made the bow I shot my first selfbow buck from. It was standing less than thirty feet from where I was standing when I let that arrow loose. This stave had a nasty kink in it. HHB isn't as easy to manipulate with heat as Osage but it's not impossible. I did some serious heating and straightening. Then I steamed in the recurves. This was one of my therapy bows I worked on to help keep my mind off the wet fields I couldn't plant.  I'm usually not working on bows in late March, April and May. I went through a lot off wood during that time frame this year.
     I took it off the caul and it lost a bit of its recurves and reflex. I worked on another bow for a few days till I thought this one was reacclimatized and then I tiller it out to 52@24". It seemed pretty snappy, but I was disappointed that it lost so much recurve and reflex when I took it off the caul. I decided to steam in the recurves again and set them with dry heat this time. I gave the belly a really good black toasting. I was much happier when I removed it from the caul this time. It gave up a little but kept enough to satisfy me. I scraped off the charred belly but it still was pretty dark. It had gained weight and I got it back to 52@24" again. It really seemed snappy now.
      I shot it in and then decided to do some finish work. I put whitetail Antler on the tips. It had a nice brown stain on its back already from when I first harvested the stave before I sealed its back. It needed a little more. I had a snake skin I got from Clint. It really looked a little boring without a lot of pattern. It was something he threw in extra with the deal. He's a great guy to deal with. I only had one skin and nothing to match it. I decided to cut it right down the center of its back. The skin was pretty wide and the bow was kinda narrow. It fit almost perfectly except for one kink I had to patch a little sliver in. As soon as I put it on the bow and whipped the scales off the pattern came to life. It's a really translucent skin and the stain on the bow really made its pattern pop. It's really my favorite snake skin backed bow I've done. I asked Clint and he thought it was water moccasin.
     I had to come up with a name for my therapy bow and it suddenly popped in my head. I decided to call her "Burnt Offering". I took her to Marshall and shoot the coarse several times. Gave her a good work out shooting the poachers round and she really shot flat for the bear across the pond.
    Hope you all like her . I sure do.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Burnt Offering
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 07:54:53 am »
More

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 07:56:45 am »
More

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 08:02:59 am »
Like that a lot!  Those antler tips are very cool.  BOM work!
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 08:06:16 am »
Thanks Slimbob. I know Simson and Druid got a couple dandies. Thought they might like a little friendly competition. I thought I had my profile pictures all resized but I can't get them to post. I'll try to get them up as soon as I can.
Bjrogg

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2019, 08:07:59 am »
Nice job BJ!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2019, 08:12:04 am »
Thanks DC. I think I got my pictures ready now. Here's the last four.
Bjrogg

Offline Sticks

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2019, 08:49:07 am »
That's a beautiful bow you did a great job.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2019, 09:05:49 am »
Nice bow bj! Was that the bow at the marshalls with the cracks in the recurves that you were working on? Its beautiful!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2019, 09:13:16 am »
Thanks deerhunter21.  No this is the one I shot in the bear across the pond. It's the one I let you shoot by the pavilion that first night. I believe you said it was the first time you ever shot a selfbow.
Bjrogg
PS I didn't finish the one you were thinking of yet. I got it ready to string now though. Most of those cracks on the belly side of the statics are gone now. Just a little cosmetic stuff.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2019, 09:57:08 am »
thats beautiful,,, very nice congrats

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2019, 09:58:01 am »
Very nice "offering", BJ! :BB.  I like those antler tips!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2019, 10:26:21 am »
Excellent little bow, BJ. Well done.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ksnow

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2019, 10:27:23 am »
Nice looking bow BJ. Glad you could keep yourself busy during the poor weather. Let's sure hope it turns soon.

Kyle

Offline Hans H

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2019, 10:58:05 am »
very nice, like her
Hans
Hans,      Bavaria, Germany