Author Topic: Starting on first bow build- Bow broke, pics added  (Read 7956 times)

Offline david w.

Re: Starting on first bow build- Bow broke, pics added
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2008, 06:10:11 pm »
you should back board bows too. i like to use linen
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Canerod

• High Country Guide Service
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2008, 06:42:28 pm »
OK, I guess I did a couple of things wrong. I may have exceeded desired weight during tillering, I definitely didn't back it, and I probably should have, and I believe I may have exercised it too vigorously. Oh well, as long as I don't make the same mistake too many times in a row, I'm making progress  ;)
Kevin Little
Registered Maine Guide
Bamboo Rodmaker
Displaced Hillbilly

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2008, 06:47:45 pm »
Live and Learn....there isn't a single Person on this Board that doesn't learn something every day about Bow Building....Unless he has His Head In The Sand!! We all make mistakes ....in order to learn from them...whether our own or those of others ...the Key Point is to....Learn!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Canerod

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2008, 10:15:45 pm »
Well, I had to go back to the store and exchange my Surform rasp. Dad-blamed thing broke right in the middle of the cast body. While I was there, I went back through the lumber and got another red oak board, so #2 is partially roughed in and #3 is leaned up in the corner  ;D

I also stopped in the fabric store and got some linen for backing. This next one is gonna make it to the shooting point.
Kevin Little
Registered Maine Guide
Bamboo Rodmaker
Displaced Hillbilly

Offline Gordon

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2008, 11:32:48 pm »
Welcome to the fraternity of broken bows - you're now just like the rest of us  ;D

BTW, I don't recommend using power tools (not even a bandsaw) until you've built at least 4-5 bows with hand tools. It's way too easy to ruin a bow with a power tool until you begin getting a feel for the wood.
Gordon

Offline Canerod

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2008, 12:09:10 am »
Thanks to all of you for the encouragement. Well, #2 has the shape roughed in and is now linen-backed. I used TBII and it's drying right now. I'll take a look at it tomorrow and see if I need to add another coating of glue. Gonna take my time with this one, hand tools only, so I don't screw it up. I will say this about making bows, it's a lot faster than making bamboo flyrods  ;D . I figure 10-12 hours to get this thing to shoot, whereas a rod is around 65 hours before you can cast it.
Kevin Little
Registered Maine Guide
Bamboo Rodmaker
Displaced Hillbilly

Offline Gordon

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2008, 03:06:15 am »
I will say this about making bows, it's a lot faster than making bamboo flyrods 

Let's see if you still think that after building your first sinew backed bow  ;D
Gordon

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2008, 03:11:06 am »
Put another coat of Glue over it...to make the Fabric as stiff as Possible...this will make it stronger...and easier to make a smoother Transitional blend into the Wood ..
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Canerod

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2008, 10:53:53 am »
OK y'all, next question  ???  The bow is backed with linen, so do I still need to round over the edge of the back? I have the outline and profile done, and the floor tiller looks nice and smooth. Nocks are 3/8" wide, any advantage over string grooves vs. pin nock style? This one looks a lot better than #1 did.
Kevin Little
Registered Maine Guide
Bamboo Rodmaker
Displaced Hillbilly

Offline DanaM

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2008, 10:55:20 am »
I would still round the edges a little, nocks are your choice, pin nocks are easier to fashion.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2008, 01:25:53 pm »
I always round mine before I glue the Linen down....but yeah ... knock them edges down and round Her out some
2024...We Will Overcome

radius

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2008, 01:57:28 pm »
So far I have had only one red oak board survive.  But maybe that's because I only used red oak when I was starting out.  Man, you'd be a lot happier if you went to a hardwood shop and bought something like white ash (I've had good success with ash), hickory (which you'll need for backing anyway) or something like that.   I know it's easier and cheaper to get a red oak 1x2, but it's not really any cheaper if all you get is a pile of oak scrapings and a heap of shattered bow limbs, is it?

That being said, now that I know a bit more about this, I might try red oak again.  I did have one success, a recurve about 5 feet long, over a year old and still shooting.  I gave it to some kids, but I imagine they still aren't strong enough to pull it!

Offline Canerod

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2008, 06:04:47 pm »
I'm keeping an eye out for hickory and ash, but the pickings have been slim up here so far. More softwood than you can shake a stick at, though.
Kevin Little
Registered Maine Guide
Bamboo Rodmaker
Displaced Hillbilly