Author Topic: GEORGETOWN CHERT AND CHOLLA KNIFE  (Read 12293 times)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
GEORGETOWN CHERT AND CHOLLA KNIFE
« on: April 12, 2008, 12:51:10 am »
OK....so I have gotten run astray again!!! Somewhere along the Line "Cowboy".... through this Indian way off Track!! Here is my Second Knife in less than three Weeks....and I still haven't picked up my Cupids Bow to work on it ::)

This Knife is Cholla Handled like My last one I made with a Birdseye Pommel....the Blade is Georgetown Chert...This is a Big Knife....it is 12 inches overall....the Blade is 6 1/2" long and 1 5/8" wide...the Blade was set with Pitch and Charcoal....and hafted with Gut and Hide Glue....these are so much fun to make....I think I am going to make a Tomahawk  and a War Lance next!!  >:D

As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline huntertrapper

Re: GEORGETOWN CHERT AND CHOLLA KNIFE
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 01:02:52 am »
awesome. hope ta see ya guttin a deer or hog with it. that would be cool to see a 'hawk or lance done. ;)
Modern Day Tramp

Offline david w.

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 01:07:00 am »
WOW thats one of the prettiest knifes i have seen. i love the blade and the cactus handle
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 01:10:18 am »
 Very nice.Makes me want to go find some cholla !  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 01:28:00 am »
Thanks guys for the Compliments on the Knife....I am really having fun with these...staying up all night to get them done....sort of the way I was with the Bows when I first got addicted!!!

Very nice.Makes me want to go find some cholla !  Frank

Don't think that there is too much of it growing up there....Frank....but I bet I can locate some more...and maybe trade you for some Fish Skins or Fur of some kind....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 01:30:19 am »
Awesome knife Yankee.  Cholla....   :-\ .....is that the stuff that when you turn it end for end makes that "stardust" sound?   ;D  Sorry about that, but that's what it reminds me of.  Man that Georgetown is some pretty stuff.  It all makes a stunning knife.  

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 01:36:54 am »
No Mike ....I think that you are referring to Chilean Rainsticks....theyare Cactus that they dry out...push the Spines inward and fill with sand and Pebbles to make that nice earthy sound.... These are just a Mean Desert Cactus that will tear up a Truck if you run one over....and make you hurt like Hell when they stick you....like a Hornet Sting!!
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 01:07:43 pm »
Man, that's a great looking knife, blade and handle both. Did you knap the blade? That cholla is some cooll looking material.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008, 03:15:44 pm »
Man, that's a great looking knife, blade and handle both. Did you knap the blade? That cholla is some cooll looking material.

Thanks Hillbilly....I am proud of this Knife myself....I like working with the Cholla...just have to wear a Dust Mask...it will give you a Respiratory Infection...if you breath the Dust...

No....I could and would not take the Credit for this Blade....this Blade was knapped by a Disabled Cherokee Elder from Pryor Oklahoma....He has me call Him Do-Da...pronounced Doe- Dah....He is 83 and does this for a Hobby....I really like them...He does a good Job...considering His Age and Handicap...hell I cant knapp one and I have the use of all of my Body!!!
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2008, 11:50:08 pm »
thats great knapping and good to see old skills still done by elders of a tribe.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 12:29:11 am »
That's another nice knife Yankee. I was gonna say that if you knapped those, you learned how to knap a hellofa lot faster than I did ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2008, 01:46:35 am »
Hey Yankee, I do have a serious question.  Is the end of the handle a cap of a different wood or does it just look that way?  Either way it is nice. 

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2008, 03:05:44 am »
Hey Yankee, I do have a serious question.  Is the end of the handle a cap of a different wood or does it just look that way?  Either way it is nice. 

Mike

Hey Mike.....nice Name by the way!!....the Pommel end of the Knife is made from a thin strip of Shagbark Hickory and a block of Birdseye Maple....and thanks for the Compliment
                                                        Mike "Yankee" Roberts

Cowboy....you are good...but not good enough to teach me to knapp telepathically!!! I met this Old Gentleman when I was working a Power Plant Job in Oklahoma....and trading You for that Knife Blade....I thought of Him again...and bought a few from Him...I really like them....I am sure that I could buy better....but not from a Better Man!! One Day I will learn to Knapp too....I just have to sit down and practice....right.... ::)
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2008, 04:29:33 pm »
Yep, you have to lay everything else down and concentrate on that rock ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2008, 07:03:22 pm »
Yep, you have to lay everything else down and concentrate on that rock ;D.

Well Today I had to lay everything down to do Taxes....and that Sux!!
2024...We Will Overcome