Author Topic: A REQUEST FOR THE NEW FOLKS  (Read 113788 times)

hickorydick

Re: A REQUEST FOR THE NEW FOLKS
« Reply #345 on: May 16, 2009, 04:35:16 am »
Best to you all. Some great stuff and great people on here.

Offline Sweet Potato

« Reply #346 on: May 19, 2009, 06:39:26 am »
Hello to all PAers

My name is Sam, I'm from northern BC, but I live and work in Taichung, Taiwan.
I've lived here for over 8 years, was a teacher and now a translator.

I've been reading this forum for a long time. And I remember the first PA magazine I found in my home town many years ago now. I've been trying to build bows and arrows for about 3 years, and I'm very slow. Getting materials here is very challenging! My "Number 2" is so far a shooter, linen backed Chinese elm long bow taken from beams in an old house slated for demo. I'm currently working on a Dragon Eye (aka Longyan; related to Lychee) stave that is very dense with wavy interlocking grain. This tree was taken from the back yard of the same house as above! If it works out I'll be happy to post pics, I'm going for something similiar in design to Gordon's Hazelnut bow - but it may get a bamboo back, rings are very indistinct on this wood. My arrows are all bamboo.

Huge thanks to everyone who helps out, especially the build-a-longs; huge job posting those. And I look forward to getting more involved with the forum.

Sam

Every day got dog.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #347 on: May 19, 2009, 12:23:10 pm »
Glad ya stopped by Sam, lots of good folk on here :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline bryan irwin

« Reply #348 on: September 07, 2009, 06:34:47 pm »
hey there new to bow building new to flintknapping got some pics on the bows site of some points i made anyone near moorsville north carolina got any flint
bryan irwin

Offline DanaM

« Reply #349 on: September 07, 2009, 07:53:56 pm »
Hey Bryan glad ya joined us, lots of folks from NC so yer in good company down there :)

This thread used to be pinned to the top not sure why someone unpinned it ???
Good place to introduce yerself :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline woodstick

« Reply #350 on: September 07, 2009, 09:04:17 pm »
may have allready done this but its me, woodstick. tim lathum from caddo oklahoma.  if anybody live close i got my own 3d range so give me a hollar.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline DanaM

« Reply #351 on: September 24, 2009, 12:23:31 pm »
Lots of new folks lately take a minute and introduce yerself and make sure to put where your located in your profile ya never know
you might live right next to someone that can help ya out :)

Manistique, MI

Offline Professional Capetownian

« Reply #352 on: July 10, 2019, 10:20:29 pm »
Hi All

I am the professional capetownian otherwise known as Jurie. i am from South Africa live in Cape Town. I am a bit of a hobbiest, dabbling in a few thing such as forging, knife making, whiskey distilling ;-) shooting and hunting.

Archery is completely new to me and i would like to have a go at making some bows.

Thank YOU ALL for the valuable information on this site.

regards

Offline MattZA

• Formerly MattTheClueless
« Reply #353 on: July 10, 2019, 11:07:48 pm »
Hey Jurie! Matt here. I'm up in Jo'burg. Welcome to Primitive Archer! Feel free to drop me a message at any time if there's anything you need!

Unprofessional bowyer. Johannesburg, South Africa.