Author Topic: Gluing up wood backings without C clamps?  (Read 2896 times)

Offline Red Dwarf

Gluing up wood backings without C clamps?
« on: May 17, 2008, 01:07:16 am »
I would like to try a couple of backed bows but can't afford all of those C clamps (every 2" or so?).

What other methods have you guys found to be effective at producing a good bond with tight glue lines?

Red Dwarf

Offline Dano

Re: Gluing up wood backings without C clamps?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 01:18:48 am »
Bicycle inner tube, cut into about 1" wide strips works real well.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline NTProf

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 01:24:09 am »
I bought bicycle innertubes at Wall-Mart for dirt cheap. They have worked great so far on two hickory-backed bows. I just cut off the stems.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 01:29:02 am »
I get them at the bicycle shop for free just ask them to save the old ones with holes for ya. I dont cut mine in strips though. I just make one cut so its a long strip and wrap the bow from tip to tip with it. See my bamboo backed erc thread.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

radius

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 01:32:18 am »
Dude!  Go to the bike shop and ask for a couple inner tubes that are heading for the trash.  They might look at you funny, but say "recycling" and mention "clamping wood" and they'll go running for some.  Cut the air nozzle off each tube.  Then cut the tube lengthwise along the seams, so that each tube yields 2 clamping straps.  You're good to go.  

The beauty of these is that you can control the pressure (by how hard you pull) and you can apply pressure to every square millimeter of the bow.  Also, once you have the thing wrapped, you can then use a couple  clamps to fasten the stave into a form, and it will bend to take the shape you want.

You start the wrap at the center, and work out toward each tip.  I always mark the center of each piece in the glue up:  the backing, the core, handle pieces, whatever.  When I wrap them with the inner tube, I start an inch or so each side of the center lines, so that I can align those marks to center marks on the form.  

Here are a couple example pictures.  Notice that you can also use stretch wrap.  I usually don't however, since it's not reusable...but i was a dumbass today:  i did two glueups, the first with inner tubes; i have more inner tubes, but I mixed the epoxy before i prepared the tubes, and so used the stretch wrap.

easy peasy

Offline Red Dwarf

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 02:08:36 am »
Thanks guys...Off to the bike shop it is!

What do you use for preventing the tube from getting stuck to the wood?

RD

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 02:23:49 am »
The rubber doesnt seem to stick.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

radius

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 02:28:20 am »
doesn't stick at all