Author Topic: Correcting tiller  (Read 3722 times)

Offline Woodely

Re: Correcting tiller
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2019, 12:46:11 pm »
Never had good luck in piking bows,  but admire you guys that can do that and turn out a smooth shooter without any stacking,  There is prop twist in one limb,  you can also file out the string groove on the tip more. 

"The near handle area and near non bending tips will be flat. No gap. "    You do want a little bend in the fade area though (transition area).
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2019, 12:55:24 pm »
Yes you do.  Most of mine bend right out of the fade, but it bends late in the draw and wont show much gap at 15- 16 inches.  If it bends there too early you will come in under weight trying to get the outers to catch up.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2019, 01:45:44 pm »
Well, a tillering gizmo will mark any stiff spots better than eyeballing with a block of wood, except in the fade out area.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2019, 02:15:56 pm »
The gizmo works. A little horse sense is needed with it. Just as it is with the straight edge. Pick a method that isolates problems in the tiller and let’s you fine tune that tiller right from jump street. Straight edge, gizmo, those funky computer circles, a CD. Just find what works for you and use it.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline paulc

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2019, 04:32:39 pm »
I do use a gizmo w the pencil thru the middle, SUPER helpful.

I def need a more consistent way of placing the bow into the cradle as I swear it screws me every time I’m not super careful with putting the bow into the cradle. Currently I use pieces of  knapped scrap stone as my shims...P

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2019, 07:35:15 pm »
The left looks a little stiff that may just be me. I reserve the right to be wrong.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.