Author Topic: From what point should I start counting inches on the tillering stick?  (Read 4628 times)

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
I’m probably the oddball, but I tiller most of mine to fit me. 27 inches and I stop. I can see that the extra inch adds a margin of safety, I just don’t do it.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline gfugal

honestly, I think measuring from the belly is more ideal. However, I understand the standard is usually from the back of the bow. I figure if I measure from the belly than at least there is an automatic safety built into it. I want to speak about draw lengths. I've built 5 bows that would have all been good functional shooters at 28" draws. But I wanted a good safety margin and tried to tiller them out to 30". All of them broke around 30". SO if you are going to account for a safety margin, which I think you should, design the bow for that margin. Don't design the bow with 28" and thing that you can get two more inches out of it.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
At some point they will break. At some point they will suffer some set. I make them all at 27 (or less). I am not gonna draw one any farther, so I avoid the repercussions. If I give it to some one or sell it, I offer it as a 27 inch draw and make it clear that 28 could break it and if it doesn’t break it, it could reduce the cast. I don’t make these to sell them. If I did, I would approach this differently.

Offline DC

If I did, I would approach this differently.
Like pull them all to 29"or more?

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
If it were a business, and I was making them to sell them, yes. I would probably opt for a margin for error. An inch I guess. I’m freakish about over drawing or holding at full draw too long. Both in my opinion hurt the cast, but, if it were a business maybe you sacrifice a little cast for a safety margin. Maybe.

Offline bradsmith2010

I over build the bow a bit for safety,..but don't over draw