Author Topic: Too much crack? Osage flipped tip self bow  (Read 2827 times)

Offline apg

Too much crack? Osage flipped tip self bow
« on: July 25, 2019, 10:16:41 pm »
Hi all,
Working on a new bow - old one just cracked and died from a check in the wood I didn’t find until last last minute.
New one is not bad, no checks with exception of one near the handle.
Problem now is I’ve heated the tip to flip it and I think I heated too much in one area and bent too soon. It cracked evenly across one layer of Osage, right on the section about 8” below the tip.
My gut says it’ll shoot fine, but wondering what you guys think?
Ash

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Too much crack? Osage flipped tip self bow
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 10:30:38 pm »
Put super glue in the crack then glue a thin underlay over it and keep on keeping on.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline apg

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 11:01:52 pm »
Super glue in the crack while it’s all opened up like this, then take it off the jig and let the glue dry, right?
What’s an underlay? Is that what I imagine an overlay is? Like a a little bit of glue over the top?

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 12:13:02 am »
Thin piece of wood ”layed under” or “over” the crack. Non bending section of the limb, that will fix it.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Woodely

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2019, 01:03:13 am »
Never done one that big,  good luck with it .
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline Weylin

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2019, 01:14:39 am »
Oof, that's a big one. I've had some smaller ones crop up that ended up not being a big deal, but I might have some concern about that one. Even if you fill it with super glue it will still continue to buckle some. It will definitely perpetually mess up your finish, at the very least. I would at least fill it with glue and continue tillering but make sure the bow is getting put through it's paces on the tillering tree before you risk taking it to full draw by hand. If it's deep enough it could still cause a compression failure and break the bow. Better to have that happen on the tree if it's going to happen. The only time I've had that happen is when I try to recurve with dry heat. When I boil the tips I've never had it happen. Something to think about for your next project.

Offline apg

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2019, 09:15:17 am »
Okay. Steam next time for sure... I’ve always used dry heat, but I’ve also had this happen a lot...!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2019, 10:06:52 am »
Soak you limb tip in water for 24 hours before you steam, I have a friend that does than and never has a crack.

Here is an underlay and an overlay to fix a badly cracked limb.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2019, 11:10:46 am »
An underlay(over lay) is placed over the crack on the under side of the curve. I've fixed cracks at least this big with good success. Make the underlay thin and heat and bend it over the same form then be sure it fits well with no voids and glue it down. I'd put one on the other tip for symmetry too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline apg

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2019, 11:21:21 am »
An underlay(over lay) is placed over the crack on the under side of the curve. I've fixed cracks at least this big with good success. Make the underlay thin and heat and bend it over the same form then be sure it fits well with no voids and glue it down. I'd put one on the other tip for symmetry too.

Then how long do I let it dry for before treating it with tung oil and wax?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2019, 01:31:18 pm »
Once the glue is cured and the tip is reshaped you can add the finish. If you soak the tips first and steam them you'll need to give it a little more time to dry.

Offline apg

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2019, 05:06:22 pm »
Once the glue is cured and the tip is reshaped you can add the finish. If you soak the tips first and steam them you'll need to give it a little more time to dry.

I’m wondering how long you mean by drying a bit longer? Like if I soak a limb for 24 hours, what’s the dry time?