Author Topic: Should I fill this crack?  (Read 3124 times)

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
Should I fill this crack?
« on: August 30, 2019, 02:01:26 pm »
I’m trying to make this Osage sliver into an ELB.  Unfortunately, a tiny bug hole near the handle lead to his cavern - a longitudinal groove which I’ve cleared out.  It’s in the middle of the belly, almost 1/4” deep, and about 6” long.  My gut tells me not to give up on it yet.

I can’t thin it any more than I already have without weakening that area too much, and since this will have a slightly bendy handle, I’m afraid a build-up would pop off.

Should I fill it with something?  If so, what?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks, Tom

Offline DC

Re: Should I fill this crack?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 02:38:35 pm »
I think any filling would just be cosmetic. That's just out of the fades,right? if you just tiller it that area will stay a bit thicker. I've had similar with drying checks on Ocean Spray.

PS I'm kinda rethinking this. A bug bore hole might be a whole different thing than a drying check. There may be some decay involved. I withdraw my comment. ;D ;D
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 02:43:41 pm by DC »

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 03:36:58 pm »
ok its not like you got alot of options,,,
the lighter the weight you make the bow, the better odds for success,,
wont hurt to try it,,, I dont think filling it will be much help,,only just for looks,,
I think it will make a light weight bow,,

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 11:06:04 am »
If it were me, I'd stabilise it with CA and go with it, but a 'proper' repair might be to rout out the damage and glue in a spline

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2019, 01:19:49 pm »
IMO two options:-
1:- ignore it.
2: dig out any trace of rot/manky wood, clean it out to a V groove, let in a matched piece of wood.
3: There were only 2 options  ;D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2019, 01:42:42 pm »
IMO two options:-
1:- ignore it.
2: dig out any trace of rot/manky wood, clean it out to a V groove, let in a matched piece of wood.
3: There were only 2 options  ;D
Del

Thanks, Del.  I can live with that advice.  I’m getting to floor-tillering now, so far via option 1.  I’ll do some serious staring at it, to see if I could manage option 2.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2019, 02:31:22 pm »
I think I'd round any sharp edges along the crack, smooth out any splinters or rough areas, saturate it with super glue and continue tillering.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hamish

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2019, 07:12:23 pm »
If it were my stave I would clean out the groove and inlet it with a strip of osage, glued with bowmakers quality epoxy or urea formaldehyde. 
Because you want to make an ELB, most of the stress is going to run down the peak of the belly, where the groove is, so its best if you reinforce this area.

Offline HH~

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2019, 07:05:41 am »
Looks like the pith line from a sapling or limb.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2019, 08:11:13 am »
Plus ! PatB.  Clean it up a bit and build your bow.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2019, 08:25:09 am »
I’ve done these a couple times with good results. Just clean out the groove. Round over the edges. Soak in super glue. Then if you want, you can pack it with powdered something and superglue. I’d pick something that’ll give good contrast. I’ve used deer antler and African black wood dust. Just pack a layer on the bottom and soak in super glue, add another layer of dust and more super glue. Repeat until filled over full, then file and sand clean. It might not do much structurally, but it doesn’t hurt and adds a unique look.

Kyle

Offline Woodely

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2019, 03:19:31 pm »
Yep bascially what Del posted...........!
Option 2 is what I would choose,  cut a sliver of the same wood,  shape it with a good blade and glue it in, you wont even notice it once done.   Filling it with hard glues and such will not bend and flex like the wood.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 03:38:10 pm by Woodely »
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2019, 05:08:40 pm »
Option 2 is what I would choose,  cut a sliver of the same wood,  shape it with a good blade and glue it in, you wont even notice it once done.   Filling it with hard glues and such will not bend and flex like the wood.
You'd notice it if I did it. ;D ;D One of the things I have not had good luck with is inletting bits of wood.

Offline Woodely

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2019, 06:08:59 pm »
You'd notice it if I did it. ;D ;D One of the things I have not had good luck with is inletting bits of wood.
If the pieces are small you'd think it would be ok.  Do you have pics of these failures.
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline DC

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2019, 06:27:32 pm »
Nope, don't take pictures of my failures ;D ;D