Author Topic: Semi Hollow Limb Osage........  (Read 1975 times)

Offline kbear

Semi Hollow Limb Osage........
« on: September 18, 2019, 11:43:15 pm »
Hi Folks!

I finished this one not too long ago, and thought it was about time I got your opinion on something..........

Bow particulars first:

Osage
65" ntn, W joined from sister billets
42# at 28"
Padauk, Wenge and Osage riser
Kudu horn tip rest
Purple heart tips
Leather grip
Gloss Tru-Oil finish
14 Strand Dacron B-50 double loop Flemish Twist string
Unintentional Semi Hollow Limb "Design"

The little pyro-graphic is a stylized nettle tip..... as seen from above. Kind of a homage to the place I first learned to shoot a bow— Nettle Creek in Far North Queensland, Australia. Boy that was a long time ago............

Pics:

2019-09-19_01-23-39 by korey Aitkenhead, on Flickr

2019-09-19_01-23-53 by korey Aitkenhead, on Flickr

That handle looks quite blocky, I know. I was experimenting with handle design. It is more comfortable than it looks......... For someone who has hands the size of a dinner plate any how!

2019-09-19_01-24-00 by korey Aitkenhead, on Flickr

2019-09-19_01-24-05 by korey Aitkenhead, on Flickr

2019-09-19_01-24-11 by korey Aitkenhead, on Flickr

2019-09-19_01-24-25 by korey Aitkenhead, on Flickr

2019-09-19_01-24-18 by korey Aitkenhead, on Flickr

2019-09-19_01-24-31 by korey Aitkenhead, on Flickr

2019-09-19_01-24-37 by korey Aitkenhead, on Flickr

I'll be the first to admit the tiller is far from Perfect. The outer limb on the top is too stiff, and too stiff coming out of the bottom fade. Gives it a heck of a positive tiller. It was much better before I took it to the range. I put about 100 arrows through it, and in my infinite impatience, took it straight home and finished it without re-adjusting tiller. What a dummy.

But, I would like to get your opinion on something. Towards the end of the tiller, I decided to remove as much of the early wood from between the annular rings as I could, figuring it contributed little to the compression strength of the wood anyway, and allowing a far more pleasing late wood finish. This resulted in an unintentionally hollow limbed bow.

As I continued to tiller, I continued into the late wood with a curved scraper, instead of flattening the sides. Would I have been better off keeping it flat?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Semi Hollow Limb Osage........
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 11:01:24 am »
I've never done a hollow limb so I can't comment on that. By leaving the early ring on the belly you get a smoother belly and the early wood on the belly has little effects on the cast if any.
 One concern I would have is the sharp edges along the limbs, especially on the back. Rounded edges, even slightly are less likely to lift a splinter and IMO is more pleasing to the eye. Even with a 1/4" radius on the edges doesn't take much away from the cast, if any. It is basically dead weight that doesn't help with the work load.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 12:02:28 pm »
I think the tiller looks good, its always first and foremost in any self bow build.

Since you asked for opinions, I'll give mine in regard to other features of your bow. As Pat said, its very square. Some areas look good square and clean and others need to be rounded for longevity and comfort as much as eye appeal. The front and back of your handle could use some major rounding/shaping, it would be much more comfortable to draw and shoot. The overlays would make slipping the string loop over much easier if they had a nice, gradual lead-in rather than abrupt degree ramp up. The horn rest is cool, but would perform much better if the arrow sat right on top of your hand, it appears to be a good 1/2" above the leather grip. Hopefully you don't take my statements as rude or offensive. I never say much if not asked to first.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 01:43:30 pm »
I think, as you said, that the top outer is stiff, but PD it way better than me. Other than that i agree with Pearlie. Dont change the tiller untill you have more conformation than me!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

bownarra

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 03:54:10 pm »
I agree that some rounding of the grip and fades/back would be a good idea. The grip could be made a lot more comfortable as you have plenty of wood to work with.
Your extra positive tiller is working out because you have the arrow quite a bit above centre with the rest placement. 
The tiller is interesting first glance says that yes it is bending too much out of the upper fade/inner limb and stiff mid to outer but your unstrung profile says it is happy enough, I'd need to see it in person to make a better judgement on that and of course knowing what it looked like before you bent it would be helpful when determining tiller. At the end of the day where and how much set you got tells the story.
As for the hollow limb/late/earlywood question - do you have any photos showing the belly in more detail?

Offline kbear

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 05:28:26 pm »
Hah, no offence taken! Yeah, I had a couple of experiments going with that one. I did achieve the look I was after though, if at the expense of practicality. She still shoots alright despite that, and the grip though blocky, sits well in the hand due to the curves for the palm and thumb. To be honest, I'm probably not going to do that type of handle again though.

2019-09-20_07-47-14 by korey Aitkenhead, on Flickr

I've always used the step through method to string my bows, so a pointy tip has always been the priority, more than a smooth ramp though I think the design on this bow is prone to tip breakage. Won't be doing that again either!

That arrow rest is two whole inches above centre actually! You're absolutely right bownarra, the PT is probably the reason she shoots so well despite this. Once again experimenting. "I'll just put this here.........". D'oh! The horn is hard and the rest is slightly off camber so the arrow wants to fall of it if I don't cant the bow. I can fix that.

I tried to get some more photos of the hollows, but my camera is not working well with the high gloss........

Your comments are not rude or offensive Pearly, and I did ask for opinions. Thank you for your time!  :D

Pat, hmmmm, yep, those edges are a little sharp. I did smooth them. But probably did not round 'em enough. I figured since the back has a slight crown they'd be okay. TBB "radius of a pea". Advice taken........

Anyhows, it's just going to sit on a stand in another corner of my house while my attentions are directed to the next one, and beyond! I am running out of corners. I am thinking of making a bow stand out of bows!

I absolutely nailed that string though huh?!!  ;D

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2019, 09:34:17 pm »
Yep!  Neat string!  Is it a Flemish twist or a continuous loop?  Lie the colors!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry