Author Topic: Osage flatbow  (Read 5933 times)

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
Osage flatbow
« on: September 24, 2019, 08:57:45 am »
Did not post a lot of bows the last few months. Did not stop making them though! Just did not have the time to take proper pictures and write something about them. Will try to photograph my latest bows in the following weeks though...

This stave came from a belly split of some larger staves. It had a dogleg on one end and the other end was the beginning of a forked branch with lots of black rotten stuff in between. Big grain swirl at this spot. To top it the rings are extremely thin so naturally I was looking forward to the challenge! (pics below)

The first plan was a straight pyramid bow because of the weird wooptidoohs at both ends of the stave. I started with roughing out to pretty close bow dimensions so I could heat the dogleg out before chasing a ring.
Heating the dogleg straight worked really well but chasing a ring took forever on this thing! I think I had to start over about 6 times. Everyime accidentally scraping to the next ring. Got it done in the end and started tillering.
Had it to brace quite fast and setup for heat treating. My heat treating caul functions as a straightening caul at the same time so after heat treating the bow came out a lot straighter as I expected. It looked good enough to flip the tips so I could not resist;-)

Added some laburnum tip overlays and arrow pass and finished the tiller.

Started shooting it a bit as I always do to check if the tiller changes. Tiller was fine but an unavoidable crack on the side which I superglued opened up a bit. I really don't like wraps on my bow so I drilled two short pins in and glued it back together.

Early/latewood ratio isn't all that so the bow looks rather thick for it's poundage but it shoots really well and did not take a lot of set. Shot a few 3d competitions with it already and it holds up really good!

Specs:
wood: Osage from Hungary
Draw weight: 48@28
Length: 64" ntn
Tip overlays: Laburnum
Handle wrap: Leather from old jacket
String: 8 strand fast flight

// stave ends and ring count

// profiles

// braced

// glued split

// details

// fd

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Osage flatbow
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 09:07:31 am »
 I love the shape and the tiller. Your finish work is very nice too. I am concerned with the crack but hopefully your fix will work well.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 10:11:57 am »
Nice job, you'd never know there was any woop-de-dos in that. :D

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 11:38:07 am »
Pretty.....simple.....bow. Just my style.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 11:41:05 am »
Very, very nice, I am impressed, I would wrap that crack just to be on the safe side.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2019, 11:51:01 am »
Nice!  I don't know enough to make technical comments, but it looks good!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2019, 12:40:34 pm »
that looks great,, congrats  :)

gutpile

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2019, 01:07:04 pm »
nice job... looks sweet... gut

Offline Will B

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2019, 01:21:29 pm »
Very nice bow!  I love the handle and fades. Great job on a difficult stave

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2019, 01:27:02 pm »
how does pins fix the crack?
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline dantolin

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2019, 03:17:20 am »
Cool bow! Nice transitions and tiller!

Offline Hilongbow

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2019, 05:01:38 am »
Sweet profile

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2019, 05:46:22 am »
Thanks for taking the time to post Leonwood. Especially since it's one of those problem child bows that gives us some trouble. I'm curious how the wooden pins do helping hold split together. I know they held our old barns together and were very strong. This is obviously a different application. I think it has a good chance between the glue and the pegs.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2019, 06:47:24 am »
Thanks for the compliments guys! Somehow I always pic the problematic staves from my pile first. My "really nice staves" pile is getting bigger and bigger ;D

About that split and the pins. I figured it opened up because of the bending of the limb trying to pull it open. I figured drilling those pins in I devide the pulling strength on the whole splinter in three parts. Kind of hard to explain my thinking really, it is totally possible that it does not make sense at all :o I will let you know if it let's go again!

Offline Hamish

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2019, 05:47:18 pm »
I like your style Leon. Sweet bow, everything's done just right. It looks beautiful.