Author Topic: Tiller check  (Read 8850 times)

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
Tiller check
« on: September 30, 2019, 11:38:20 am »
This bow is a friends and i need some help telling him what to tiller. Thanks! Heres what i think!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Deerhunter21

Re: Tiller check
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 12:05:20 pm »
I dont know aboit the little dot on the left in the circle.

Offline burtonridr

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 12:57:00 pm »
Its hard to tell by these pics, but it looks like you are off to a good start.

For your pictures next time, it helps if you dont have anything in the background that has defined lines (such as the power strip and black cable) running at odd angles. It creates optical illusions and makes it more difficult to spot hinges or differences between the two sides.

As far as building that bow, at this point just dont draw it harder than your target weight. You should get those limbs thinned slowly and evenly until they bend easily with like 20lbs of force, which isnt much. If you look at a draw weight vs draw length profile for most bows the first 10" of draw only produces like 10lbs. Just be very mindful and dont create any hinges in the process, us long even strokes with your tool. Where your at in the process, it really helps me to use a micrometer to take measurements. I want to make sure each limb is the same dimension, and check for thin spots I accidentally created while roughing out the bow. When you get to the point that you have a nice even bend and can draw about 10" thats when the real tillering begins.

But at the moment, so far as I can tell is going good.
Offgrid mtn living

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 12:58:51 pm »
I am not with him. Im helping him via texting, so thats where things get tricky.

Offline burtonridr

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 01:01:32 pm »
I am not with him. Im helping him via texting, so thats where things get tricky.

oh, well it looks like he is off to a good start.
Offgrid mtn living

Offline TimBo

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2019, 01:20:19 pm »
You are right to tell him to stay away from the handle...I don't like the abrupt change (not sure I can call it a transition) between limb and handle, and that spot is already working.

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2019, 01:40:52 pm »
You are right to tell him to stay away from the handle...I don't like the abrupt change (not sure I can call it a transition) between limb and handle, and that spot is already working.

I agree.  If it were my bow I wouldn't pull it anymore until those fades are transitioned to the handle.  That would be my #1 priority.  I would go about an inch into the handle (making the fades 1" longer on each side) and smooth that transition as best I could.  Look at the fades on Leon's last bow for an example of a smooth transition. 

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2019, 01:45:36 pm »

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2019, 01:57:18 pm »
Yea Eric but the thing is, hes going full primitive (I think) hes only using tools he makes for. I don't know if he'll agree to making one but ill send him the link.

Offline HH~

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2019, 02:03:31 pm »
Those fades need addressing NOW before he puls on that string anymore.

Bayou X 1

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2019, 02:04:48 pm »
how do i help him? remove everywhere else?

edit- you ment the handle fades, sorry

Offline Woodely

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2019, 03:25:09 pm »
I try to have at least a 14" transition from fade end to fade end.  So a gradual slope.
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2019, 08:06:26 pm »
The only place it's bending is out of each fade. It's actually hinging at the fades and stiff everywhere else.

Maybe he should consider using a scales, tillering gizmo and hand tools till he can develop a eye and feel for tillering first. Then he can have a much better chance of making something work going "Primitive".

I think you can see his problem. Yes advise him to stay completely away from the fades. Don't remove anything from them. He needs to understand that the most stress is at the fades. From there the limbs should tapper in thickness and or width towards the tips. There's less stress at the outer limbs therefore they need to be thinner and or narrower to bend. His draw weight on this one will already be limited by the hinge at his fades. Everything  past that is going to have to have wood removed to get it to bend and take stress off those fades.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bassman

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2019, 06:29:41 am »
Taper the handle into the limbs both ways from the middle.You may end up with a working handle,but that hinge will go away. Then you can go to work on the rest of the bow.

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2019, 10:59:15 am »
So basically like this?