Author Topic: Molly type bow question  (Read 1359 times)

Offline helmet

Molly type bow question
« on: October 06, 2019, 07:46:49 pm »
I have started a mollegabet type bow, the kind with the stiff narrow outer tips that don't really bend. How narrow do you guys aim for on these types of bows? I have about 60% of the limb bending with the outer 40% not bending. Hope that makes sense.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: Molly type bow question
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 08:19:25 pm »
Bad answer, I admit, but as thin as you can get them and maintain stability. The alignment will dictate much of the decision. Imperfect alignment will need wider tips to remain stable. Keep narrowing until you can’t afford any more. 1/2 inch, 3/8’s, 1/4. Shoulder, mid lever, tip.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 02:25:38 am »
Don't go too thin initially, once the bow is working it can be fiddled and fettled.
One of the trickiest areas is the blend from wide limb to narrow lever it's easy to create a weak point of to have too much bulk.
Go by feel, it's easy to heat bend a hint of correction into a lever if necessary as they are thin.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 07:55:11 am »
What Del said ;D Keep'm wide until you have a shooter, then narrow as much as possible. I do this by scraping the sides of the levers and brace after every removal to see if it still lines up. If it doesn't, scrape the uneven side till it levels out again. If it still bends over take out the heat gun

Will post a molly-ish type bow next week with some nice slim tips for an example. (Have to sort the photos and take a full dray if the weather permits)