Author Topic: Anyone ever try this??  (Read 1102 times)

Offline Jakesnyder

Anyone ever try this??
« on: October 09, 2019, 06:02:51 pm »
I saw this in Jim hamm's book. Has anyone ever seen or heard of black locust scalloped bows?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Anyone ever try this??
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 06:12:30 pm »
THere have been a few scalloped Eastern Woodland bows built by members and I think Rich(Halfeye) was our master of this style bow.  I have one or Rich's scalloped bows but I can't remember what wood it is. I'll check it out.  Black locust was one of the favorite Eastern Woodland bow woods where it grows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jakesnyder

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 06:39:24 pm »
Yea I have a sugar maple double scalloped bow from halfeye. I have never seen one of black locust before. Just curious how locust would handle that design. I have took a real liking to black locust recently. It's my favorite bow wood that grows around here.

Offline willie

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 06:48:14 pm »
Jake, try something like this in your search engine

seneca locust site:http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf

Offline M2A

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2019, 05:38:53 pm »
Yep. it will work just fine. Nice straight grain is the hardest to find but that's what ya want. Dimensions in the book work just fine however I'd suggest going a few inches longer if your looking for a 28" draw, say...60" minimun ntn....or longer. I'd also suggest thick growth rings may be the better than thin ones imho. If any side to side heat adjustments need to be made I think its better to do before any side carving. In short, it will handle it just fine. Good luck hope to see one from you in the near future.
Mike