Author Topic: Questions for people that made DIY archery targets  (Read 3320 times)

Offline TovinoThomas

Questions for people that made DIY archery targets
« on: October 17, 2019, 09:35:27 am »
Hello,
I am going to make my own archery target and I have found a few materials that potentially will work nicely, but before I buy I wanted to ask others, maybe some of you have already used them or seen them in targets and can tell how they will act.
To start it all off I have to say that I am very young in archery practice (just a couple of hours, took some lessons with a coach to learn the ropes) and now I want to make my own backyard archery spot. I've already bought a light, 20 pound recurve to work on my technique. My plan is to make a wooden frame (around 1x1 meter) and put the stopping-material inside.
The first thing that I found were EVA foam mats (100cm / 100cm / 4cm) and they seem OK considering I want the target to be resistant to external factors like rain, snow etc.
The next thing is just plain industrial rubber mat, but I am afraid, as it is way more dense than EVA mat, that pulling the arrow out will be a pain.
Next, I've found that you can use carpet scrapes, but, from what I have seen, they tend to get moldy if you let them get wet.
Last, but not least, I've seen that you can use regular cardboard, but that will surely get destroyed when it rains on it.

Saying all that, my questions are:

How many layers / much length of said materials do I need to stop arrows from my 20lb bow?https://myip.kim/ https://birthdaywishes.onl/ https://elecpay.in/tneb/

Isn't 1x1 meters target too big for a backyard range, where the maximum distance from the target would be something like 20-25 meters?

What should be the height of the target, does it change considering the height of the archer (I'm 1.93m tall).

Thanks for all answers.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 09:32:54 pm by TovinoThomas »

Offline sleek

Re: Questions for people that made DIY archery targets
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 10:16:30 am »
I use balled up old towels stuffed in a box. It stops field point arrows very well, and they remove very easily. I dont know how well broad heads work.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 11:10:44 am »
Welcome to PA, Tovino
Two post with a shed roof sloping towards the back should keep the weather off, a piece of old carpet hanging as a back stop and a feed sack filled with plastic grocery bags, sheet plastic or old window screen for your target.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Woodely

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 03:08:30 pm »
I bought a 2x2 box from Home Depot and the sales associate gave me a bunch of cardboard to fill the cavity,  then I filled the rest with spray foam made 2 holes on the top for a rope handle.  I then glued on the targets.  Coat the box with some TB3 or use some poly spray to keep it somewhat water proof. Total cost was about $12.
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 03:24:40 pm »
If you use blunt tips, you can hang up a piece of canvas to catch the arrows. Added benefit is that the arrows fall straight to the ground and you NEVER hit the last arrow with the next arrow!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 03:36:10 pm »
I never thought about blunts and canvas...that's a cool idea.  My favorite target is a burlap bag (coffee bean bags are great) stuffed with that thin foam sheet stuff you use to pack dinner plates.  When it starts to wear a bit, you can shake it up a bit and put the whole thing in a new bag.

Offline paulc

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2019, 05:53:25 pm »
Road side couch cushion.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2019, 08:21:46 pm »
Road side couch cushion.

Those make a very satisfying THUMP when you hit 'em with blunts.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bassman

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2019, 08:27:30 am »
Same as Pat B with a plastic pop bottle hanging down. Makes a nice loud crack when hit.No cost for the bags.The Amish litter, and leave horse feed bags around my home town lake. I just gather them up, and take them home a long with other trash.

Offline JEB

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2019, 09:28:48 am »
With all the running around that you are going to do looking for materials to make a target and you will probably have some expense in the materials just look for a target on sale somewhere. Less stress and much easier and I am sure a better target than what anyone can make and will last longer.

Not trying to be a downer but after  60 years of shooting a bow I have about seen it all.