Author Topic: what would you do?  (Read 2049 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
what would you do?
« on: October 21, 2019, 11:30:22 am »
I have an OK piece of yew, except it is heavily reflexed and I want to turn it into a very angry little short bow.  It is 33 inches long, 2 inches wide and is 2.5 inches reflexed.  Brace height will be about 4 inches, draw length will be 10 inches, so potentially a 14 inch draw on a 33 inch piece of yew, just over 2 times plus 10%.  Target draw weight is 250#

I can leave the sapwood on, leave the sapwwod on and sinew it,  or I can strip the sapwood and then sinew it. If I strip the sapwood and sinew it I can leave it as a reflexed design or turn it back to front and have it deflexed. 

Alternatively I could try boiling it for an hour and maybe straighten it out a little.

What would you all do?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 11:34:15 am by stuckinthemud »

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
Re: what would you do?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 12:13:49 pm »
250#! wow! you making a crossbow? that could be cool! i dont know if you should take the sapwood off as i hear its really good with tension though i have no personal experience with it. do you have any pics?
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 12:30:53 pm »
I think a sinewed back is definitely the safest route. If the rumour about sinew pulling off yew sapwood has any truth I think it would show on a short heavy bow like that. I think I might be tempted to go the heartwood/sinew route.

bownarra

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 12:43:58 pm »
I think a sinewed back is definitely the safest route. If the rumour about sinew pulling off yew sapwood has any truth I think it would show on a short heavy bow like that. I think I might be tempted to go the heartwood/sinew route.

Yes agreed and leave it reflexed or maybe heat bend a little deflex in the middle before sinewing.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 01:07:48 pm »

wow! pulling the sapwood off! oh i think i remember that thread. Yeah you dont want that to happen.  >:D  :)
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.