Author Topic: Sleeve type takedown installation  (Read 2233 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Sleeve type takedown installation
« on: October 30, 2019, 11:46:56 am »
I was ask to build a takedown bow using a commercially available a takedown sleeve. I have the sleeve and a nice set of yew billets but I have never installed one. I've looked through the "How to..." section back to 2005 without results and many of the pics are from Photobucket and not usable anyway. You can post info here or PM me with a link.
Thanks  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

bownarra

Re: Sleeve type takedown installation
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 01:39:39 pm »
Check out the chapter on take downs in TBB vol 4? It is very good and has all the info needed. I also use MT13 and highly recommend it as a sleeve glue.
One extra tip is to get the end close to dimension (before fitting!) and then give them a good heating with a heat gun, this will get the MC in the handle section down. The last thing you want is the bow being stored somewhere drier in the future than where your wood has been stored. The shrinkage leads to 'issues' down the road.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 02:46:44 pm »
Thanks, bownarra. I'll pull out my TBB4 and give it a read and thanks for the heat treating tip.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ohma2

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 03:05:00 pm »
X2 the MT13

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 03:11:51 pm »
 The take down how to was in an earlier TBB.  The second one I think. I'll check.  Maybe it was re-visited in the last one?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 05:12:41 pm »
It is in TBB3, by Jay St. Charles and I'll also read a link sent to me by Bob Barnes, also written by Jay St. Charles.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2019, 07:21:12 pm »
I put together several of those takedown sleeves Pat. Been awhile so I'll have to put on my thinking cap. Like was mentioned, shrink your wood using heat. Don't violate the back of your billets. You'll have to do some fit and finish to get the brass sleeve working smoothly. Metal handle can be a pain to epoxy without making a mess inside the brass sleeve side. I remedied that by using a heat gun and having to epoxy flow down from the inside of the brass sleeve side. Doesn't hurt to pin both parts with screws when finished...…..Art

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2019, 06:01:11 am »
Also Pat be gentle with the sleeves, don't put them in a vice or any other undue pressure on them, they warp or get out of shape very easy and then it is a pain to get them to slide together or come apart.  ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2019, 06:27:43 am »
And make sure to take lots of pictures cause I don't have the TBB and I do have a bunch of billets and want to make a take down. ;)
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline backtowood B2W

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2019, 01:03:43 pm »
 Doesn't hurt to pin both parts with screws when finished...…..Art
You can use those pin holes to let flew the epoxy in the sleeves. I experienced when you slide the sleeve over the glue, it is every where but not where you want it. With the HG you will get the Epoxy fluid enough. Tape the ends so it doesn't rinse out, but leave a hole for the outcoming air. Also don't make the wood joint to tight, better a little bit thicker glueline than a bit here and there.
Just m2c.
BTW