Author Topic: Bend in the handle hickory bow  (Read 3232 times)

Offline fiddler49

Bend in the handle hickory bow
« on: November 01, 2019, 09:57:07 pm »
A friend gave me an unfinished hickory  stave bow / pyramid limbs with long stiff handle but only. 62 inches long / clean back no knots so to get a 31 inch draw I planed down one inch wide handle to let the bow bend in handle / the fades are 1 1/2 wide with oak overlays on the limb tips / I did a close wrap of tarred sine line from fade to fade / after tillering the draw weight was 64 lbs at 31 inches / I shot it a bunch over two weeks and noticed the handle area had a bit too much set as compared to the limbs so I split a piece of one inch bamboo in half and tied on to belly side of handle of with spiral wrapped tarred sine line as a stiffener / much better tiller profile now and more arrow speed / here’s some pics

Offline Jakesnyder

Re: Bend in the handle hickory bow
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 07:56:37 am »
Dont see any pics...

Offline TimBo

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 08:30:12 am »
Me neither - I think they are coming from Alaska though, so maybe they just take longer! 

Offline fiddler49

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 05:58:16 pm »
I’m having trouble posting the pics help

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2019, 04:04:44 am »
  Posted these pics for  "fiddler49"   Here ya go Mike
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2019, 04:05:55 am »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2019, 04:06:56 am »

Offline Jakesnyder

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2019, 04:27:20 am »
I think you could get the outer 1/3rd of both limbs bending a bit more. It looks like alot of your bend is happening in the handle area. Perfecting your tiller will make for an even smoother draw and even less hand shock. Nice save on the stave!

Offline fiddler49

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2019, 05:26:21 pm »
Thanks Don / No hand shock at all / the Early pics are before I put handle stiffener on /  must be a really nice piece of hickory / the last group of pics are after handle stiffener was added but they don’t do justice to the tillering / Ill try to get a full draw pic soon / the limbs have some asymetry and bow string lines up with left side of handle making the bow almost center shot / one of the nicest shooting bows I’ve built / a great hunting weight bow for Alaska moose and bear cheers fiddler49

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2019, 06:57:10 pm »
  Mike,
            You have done this before with small diameter bamboo...Lashing things together is good primitive technology in a pinch...Glad it worked for you once again...
                                                                    Don