Author Topic: Saving my underpowered bow.  (Read 2343 times)

Offline darknite

Saving my underpowered bow.
« on: January 01, 2020, 01:49:06 pm »
I was doing a great job tillering an osage selfbow (65” ntn; 65lbs @ 27” draw), right up until I was nearly done, then….disaster. I took off too much on the outer 6” or so at the tips. I shaved the belly down on the inner portion of the limbs so the tiller is better, but that left me with a 40 lb bow.

I’d like boost the draw wt. back up by gluing something to the belly of the bow (recognizing that it’ll then be a laminated bow). I don’t want to back the bow with anything because the back of the bow has some beautiful knots.

Any thoughts on how to save this and still keep the character of the back?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Saving my underpowered bow.
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 02:51:16 pm »
You could glue a thin piece of osage or ipe to the belly and retiller the bow. I and others here have done this with success.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 03:05:43 pm »
  Pike it several inches.

Offline scp

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2020, 04:04:08 pm »
Heat treating it really well but slowly, for hours, might increase its draw weight almost 10 pounds. Do not burn it, no matter what. Do not allow the belly smoke at all. Keep the back as cool as possible also. After that you have to leave it alone for a week at least. You will have to re-tiller it, preferably on its sides.

Offline Will B

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2020, 06:34:19 pm »
I agree with PatM I would pike it

bownarra

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 01:30:43 am »
Start again. Unfortuantely it is mighty hard to put wood back on!
Gluing a lam onto the belly might be possible if you can get the existing belly dead flat. If not you will end up with a shoddy glueline.
Piking it a reasonable amount might get you 5# when all is said and done.

Offline bassman

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2020, 09:14:26 am »
If it was my bow I wouldn't worry about the pretty knots on the back. Sinew backed Osage makes a nice bow.

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2020, 10:27:51 am »
I successfully glued a new belly on quite a few bows. You pretty much need a belt sander to get a good glue line(at least I do ;)) One thing to remember though is that the actual thickness difference between a 60# and a 40# bow is very little. If you were to glue a strip on your 40# bow there is a real good chance of tillering back through it in spots. So you have to reduce the bow to about 20# first so that you are gluing on a substantial piece.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2020, 11:49:17 am »
wow good to know,, (SH)

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2020, 07:48:37 pm »
I successfully glued a new belly on quite a few bows. You pretty much need a belt sander to get a good glue line(at least I do ;)) One thing to remember though is that the actual thickness difference between a 60# and a 40# bow is very little. If you were to glue a strip on your 40# bow there is a real good chance of tillering back through it in spots. So you have to reduce the bow to about 20# first so that you are gluing on a substantial piece.

What glue have you used with this method, DC?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2020, 09:04:25 pm »
I used Weldwood Plastic Resin on the bows I added belly lams, all were successful.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2020, 10:06:24 pm »
I use West Systems 105/205 epoxy.