Author Topic: New Year, New Bow: In Progress Board Bow from 230-year-old Hickory  (Read 1946 times)

Offline Stickboy

Folks, it's been too many years since I've been active here, and too many years since of not letting myself do things that make me happy. This past year has been one of working to pursue those neglected passions--I've started drawing again, began writing and illustrating a children's book, started work on a webcomic, had a solid garden with the misses, began steps towards having chickens on the property... Then, Dad gave me some hand-split hickory ceiling boards from a 230-year-old stone house. They've got character, and a nice spring, and seemed the perfect opportunity to start back at something else I love doing. They looked like they'd make a damnn fine bow.

Initial inspection showed great promise. The history soaked into each, dating potentially back to the Revolutionary War, from a house built by a miller for his son when he was returned from the Shawnee. Simon Kenton himself may have gazed up at those boards upon a time...

After trimming down the ends to remove ages of gunk and prep two choice boards for splicing, the grain runs straight and true--in the wrong direction. Damn. But what's a new year without trials? And what's a new bow without character and experimentation? Instead of ditching the boards for a hedgeapple stave in the stack, this bow will be lovingly tillered and carved for a cordage and/or sinew backing. With luck, it won't explode immediately, and dad and I can shoot a few arrows along the creek where the miller's son's stone house still stands.

Soon as I can get a picture to the right size, I'll add to the post.

Happy new year, everyone, and happy tillering.
Steve
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 03:53:40 pm by Stickboy »
"A man should not step one foot
forth in the field without weapons.
One cannot know, when on the road,
when he will need his spear." - Havamal, 38

Offline aznboi3644

Re: New Year, New Bow: In Progress Board Bow from 230-year-old Hickory
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 09:40:32 pm »
I think those boards should be good and seasoned.

Offline Stickboy

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 04:43:38 pm »
Ha! They are at that! The weather here has been fairly mild for Winter, so there should be a decent enough moisture content in them to be workable, also. Assuming I ever manage to get all the raccoon crap off them...

Offline Drawknife

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 06:03:34 pm »
Watching with interest. (-P
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2020, 11:48:54 am »
Good luck with the build!  Be very careful and patient!  If the bow doesn't work out, make knife scales and hawk handles!
Hawk dancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Stickboy

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2020, 03:51:11 pm »
Good luck with the build!  Be very careful and patient!  If the bow doesn't work out, make knife scales and hawk handles!
Hawk dancer
Good thinking. I have a tomahawk needing a handle, and an old bowie knife needing the grip plates on the handle.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2020, 08:08:05 am »
Welcome back, Stickboy!  jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!