Author Topic: Rainy Day project  (Read 7146 times)

bownarra

Re: Rainy Day project
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2019, 02:12:15 am »
Nice bow man but I think i'd have rounded the backs edges a little more. ;)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2019, 08:52:45 am »
Like it a lot! Splicing opens up a new chapter. Many possibilities and easier to find ( to make) a desired shape than with one piece staves.
If I had a truckload of billets, I would try to make a jig.

Thanks B2W. I think I'm going to have to look up a few more spliced handle builds. Know any good ones? Making jigs?  I think I'd like to try something like Marc's R-D. It just seems like a good design for making a fairly short bow that's fast and durable. I know upstate played around with that design a quite a bit.
Bjrogg
Here's some of my billets
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2019, 09:07:52 am »
Nice bow man but I think i'd have rounded the backs edges a little more. ;)

Thanks bownarra. I'm guessing your worried about lifting edge grain?  I've never had a problem. I rounded the back a bit. The belly a bit more. I usually end up with very little run off. I follow edge grain with my draw knife. I usually don't start narrowing up until somewhere around the last 9".

Offline HH~

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2019, 09:30:48 am »
Think the flat ones are faster. Most folks just cant stand a flat that looking profile but they will perform.

HH~
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 12:43:50 pm by HedgeHunter »
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2019, 09:35:41 am »
Think the flat one are faster. Most folks just cant stand a flat looking profile but they will perform.

HH~

I think your right Shawn. I don't have a chrono but they always seem like hard hitters. Guess it all just my observations though. Never really did any real testing. I do like the flat backs though.
Bjrogg

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2019, 10:19:11 am »
I'm on the other side of that.  Give me a rounded Osage back (natural shape) any day.  My opinion, but I find they take less set maintaining their profile better.  They tend to be thinner rings as well which I prefer.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2019, 07:16:43 am »
I'm on the other side of that.  Give me a rounded Osage back (natural shape) any day.  My opinion, but I find they take less set maintaining their profile better.  They tend to be thinner rings as well which I prefer.

That's interesting Slimbob. I will have to pay more attention in the future and see. I do think some of the bows I've made recently are from flatter back staves. They seem to be performing well, but their designs have been pushing the limits more than my earlier bows. I did pick up a bit more set than I'd like on my 48" ttt bendy but it's really working to hard. It still seems to be shooting good yet but I'm sure it's lost a bit of performance. It has a very flat back. My bow I've been the most impressed with is my "Simply Orange ". It is from a stave much more like your describing. Higher back (natural) and thin rings. That bow isn't stressed quite as much but still is pretty aggressive design. It has taken so little set and been hunted with hard. Not sure if it's design or wood. Got me wondering now
Bjrogg

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2020, 10:19:27 am »
This is one of my favorite of yours BJ. I love everything about it.  )P(
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2020, 05:58:55 am »
Thank You Jeff. I appreciate your reply.

Do you have anything in the works. Looking forward to seeing one or two of yours again.

Have a great 2020

Bjrogg