Author Topic: Beaver tail prep  (Read 1446 times)

Offline cutty

Beaver tail prep
« on: February 27, 2020, 09:10:16 pm »
A buddy gave me two frozen beaver tails. How do I prep for making handle wraps?  First I need to skin out. How do you treat the leather after skinning?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Beaver tail prep
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 08:47:22 am »
Hello cutty.....After skinning it out I would leave it as a raw material.When making a handle wrap for a paticular bow I would make a stencil duplicate first that fits,like in the build-a-long that [buddy] has shown using masking tape.
I would also after duplicating that form onto your raw beaver tail I would contact cement a layer of thin deer leather onto that or at least onto the the edges to be sewn because raw beaver tail is very thin material.
From there glue it to your handle and sew it up.I use contact cement myself.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 09:13:58 am »
Highly recommend not skipping the liner Ed advises to glue to it.  You'll be very upset if you glue it to your bow without and then rip out your stitching when you sinch them up.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Weylin

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 09:38:15 am »
You can make a handle wrap from raw beaver tail but it's a PAIN and it doesn't look and feel as good. I recommend tanning the beavertail first. If you google alum tanning you should find some directions. It will make for a more attractive, more comfortable  and easier to work handle wrap. You can use leather dye to stain it if you want a different color. Definitely glue the strips of thin leather to the stitching sides. It helps a lot.

Offline maitus

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 11:47:58 am »
I sometimes  use a vegetable tanning if I don't need a very good quality. For handles is enough to soak hide for a week in tanning solution. You will get nice colour and after oiling the finished handle with neatsfoot oil it will get soft surface which is pleasant to hold in hand.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 04:21:55 pm by maitus »

Offline maitus

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 11:15:01 am »
Here is an example of ostrich leg hide. It was in willow bark tanning solution for one week.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 01:24:28 pm by maitus »