Author Topic: Fresh cut and split staves.  (Read 1610 times)

Offline Gregoryv

Fresh cut and split staves.
« on: January 10, 2020, 08:00:33 pm »
Freshly cut black locust staves very straight.  4 inches wide 4 inches thick.  If I store indoors at 68 degrees will these staves warp or bend?  I am not worried about checking.  I have sealed them very well.  Thank you
Greg

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Fresh cut and split staves.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 09:17:43 pm »
At that width and thickness you should be fine. I would keep an eye on it as it dries just in case.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline HH~

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 07:41:30 am »
I would keep fresh wood outside for a month or so covered. Then, move it into barn, shed etc. You move it from cut to almost 70 degrees the backs will check even with back covered in glue. Just to much moisture trying to escape way to fast. To be on say side anyhow. I have seen it workout a few times but if its good wood I would not chance it.

HH
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Gregoryv

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 08:28:22 am »
I have noticed these staves developing slight deflex.  I have moved them outside I am very worried about them developing twist or bend.  I will leave it there for a couple months then bring back indoors.  Hopefully this will be enough.  It is some of the best wood I have cut to date. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. 
Greg

Offline Gregoryv

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 10:51:14 am »
Ok this wood is starting to warp slightly.  Should I reduce it more?  Maybe strap the staves together?  I really would like to save these staves and ANY advise would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 10:53:54 am »
They shouldn't move much but even if they do you can straighten them with heat once you get them to floor tiller stage.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Gregoryv

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2020, 12:26:24 pm »
Should I store it outside or can I bring these staves back indoors?  It is winter here, very cold and rainy outside.

Offline Gregoryv

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2020, 12:31:46 pm »
I should add that I am not seeing any checking at all.  I have not had problems with checking just with warping and twisting of the wood.  Should I buy some ratchet straps and strap the wood together?  Or just let it do what it’s going to do because it cannot be prevented? 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2020, 12:45:47 pm »
At the size you say they are they shouldn't move too much. I would't leave them outside but under shelter at least. The cold won't hurt them.  Even if you don't see checking now be sure and bare ends or back are well sealed.

Offline Gregoryv

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2020, 01:07:07 pm »
Outside on porch where they can’t get rained on or in shed?  Lay them on their backs or stand them up?  Strap them together? Is it mad that my main concern while I am working is some wood that most people wouldn’t care about!!!!  I really hope they are ok, I am very attached to them.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2020, 04:02:48 pm »
In the shed, either horizontal or vertical but off the ground. If horizontal put 3 or 4 spacers under them. You could strap or bind them together but put spacers between them for good air circulation.  Is the bark still on? If so you should either remove the bark and sapwood and seal the back or treat the bark with an insecticide to kill any gritters that may hatch from eggs laid in the bark. With the wood still green it is a lot easier to remove the bark and sapwood. Later it is a lot harder to do.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2020, 04:23:57 pm »
Now would be a good time to rough out your staves into near finished bow dimensions (and bring inside). They will dry out much quicker. Quicker still, if you seal their backs, handle tapers and ends with something like painter's tape. Remove the tape after it's shriveled up (usually a couple of weeks). This will allow the bow to dry from both back and belly, and after a couple more weeks of drying, you could if you want to, shape to finish dimension. Then put back for seasoning......Art

Offline HH~

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2020, 04:40:39 am »
You brought them in to a place where it was above 65 degrees?

If you did they are dumping moisture at a very rapid rate and side checking and or back checks will occur.

Out of wet under overhead cover. They will do some twisting and reflexing. The slower the moisture leaves the wood the less it twists and reflex's. Pat's 100% on it.

Shawn~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW