Author Topic: got a rabbit!!!  (Read 29685 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: got a rabbit!!!
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2008, 11:02:42 am »
Well done Billy

We don't have cottontails up here but we do have snowshoe hares.  They are quite tough to kill.  I shot one many years ago with the old 3 blade bodkins and cut its heart in half.  It still ran around screaming for nearly 1/2 a minute.  The only ones that ever died on the spot were the ones that were shot right in the head, a broadhead in the head makes them lay down right there.  I wouldn't shoot one with a blunt unless it was real close and could get a head shot
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2008, 04:13:55 pm »
                                               Blunts are Brutal....I always use Broadheads
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

bow kid44

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2008, 10:59:11 pm »
nice!! i'd shoot one rite now but here its not rabbit season >:(

Offline Andrea S

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2008, 11:53:49 pm »
I didn't even realize there was a rabbit season...I have a friend (in IL, where I'm from) who used to shoot rabbits with a BB gun because they ate his mom's garden and landscaping, at any time of the year.
Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. -Abe Lincoln

kdub

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2008, 12:06:09 am »
Here in TX rabbits are a nongame animal, with no season or bag limit.   I hunt em' in my inlaws backyard year round.  ;D

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2008, 12:08:27 am »
Cant eat em though....get the Fever in the Summer eating Cotton Tails.......
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

kdub

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2008, 08:15:01 pm »
Thats what I hear but all the ones Ive ever killed have been fine.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2008, 09:30:56 pm »
Thats what I hear but all the ones Ive ever killed have been fine.

Just have to look for Blisters under the Hide....and cut the Liver open and look for Spots.....so I have been told!!
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2008, 06:03:50 pm »
I've always heard to only hunt and eat em in months that have an R in them.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2008, 10:36:29 pm »
hey thats great billy...now have fur for some projects..juniper junkey and keenan where talking about you at the primitive gathering this last week end.so i jumped in and said i really wish you could have been out here.i really wanted to meet you..but we will meet some day....they had a great gathering and i finally got to meet gordon,bryan b,dave,keenan.those guys are really neat people.later john

Offline billy

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2008, 11:02:58 pm »
HEy John,

Yeah, I wish I coulda been out there too.  I love Oregon and if I could find a decent job out there I wouldn't hesitate to move back out there again, just don't tell my girlfriend!   I love it out there. 

Been thinking of maybe coming out this summer sometime.  Not really sure yet, just kinda kicking the idea around.  But it might happen.

Marietta, Georgia

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2008, 09:55:41 pm »
hey billy,i hope you make it out before summer of next year.my wife and i are thinking about moving back to montana next year..later john

bushytail

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2008, 02:26:50 am »
Must be nice to hunt them now.I gotta wait two more months.All i can hunt for is groundhogs,coyotes,and crows.Try shooting a crow in flight.Now that tough.Someday when i connect,it`s getting mounted.Anyways,goodluck with your hunting adventures.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2008, 03:33:58 pm »

Well done Billy.  Welcome to P.E.T.A. !  ( People eating tasting animals )  We have plenty of Rabbits down here in Fla.  Marsh rabbits, and cotton tails.  Not too much differenct between them cept the coloration.  Only problem, most of the Rabbits down here have tape worms, and what we call " Wolves "  Don't know if that is just a colloquial name, or factual.  Anyway it is a parasite that is reddish brown, and with little spine like things on it, and it is round, and sort of tapered at each end.  I have eaten Rabbits, when I was younger, but don't hunt them now.  Cowboy the " R "thing probably is because those are the cooler months.  There is a myth about that down here for the oysters.  I talked to a Marine Patrol Officer, and he said it was a myth, and sometimes the oysters will get a little discoloration during the summer months, but they are still ok to eat.  I don't eat too many Oysters, though I do truly love them, raw, fried, baked, stewed, what ever.  But I have a friend of mine who is an Epidemiologist, and she said that there is not an Oyster bed in the U.S. that is not polluted.  She never eat any raw shell fish, Clams, Oysters, etc. .  Only eat them if they have been fried, stewed, or baked.  She said not to eat any steamed clams either, because steaming doesn't kill the bacteria.  Just the clam.
But I am glad that you did not kill the Rabbit just to kill it.  Always glad to see a hunter with good ethics.  Yeah, the tails, would be good string silencers.  Only problem is they kinda shed.

Wayne

Papa Matt

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2008, 04:45:11 pm »
Good man, Billy. Glad to see you have a heart for the little beasts.

~~Papa Matt