Author Topic: 2020 Bow Trade - Sign up closed  (Read 77026 times)

Offline timmyd

Re: 2020 Bow Trade - Sign up closed
« Reply #120 on: March 15, 2020, 06:41:12 pm »
Sweet bow there matt

Offline Flntknp17

« Reply #121 on: March 17, 2020, 04:49:19 pm »
Sorry to flood the thread with pics.....but I’m working from home for the foreseeable future and that means I can work early am, then do fun stuff during the day, and then finish my work day in the evenings so I made a little more progress today.  I slightly increased the amount of flex on the inner most limbs and did some adjustments to the grip to make it more comfortable.  Then I scraped the outer layer off the bamboo.  I went out and shot about 100 arrows with it while the kids played in the yard.  Still holding some reflex immediately unbraced. 

Matt

Offline Bubbabowyer

« Reply #122 on: March 17, 2020, 07:04:53 pm »
Looks really good to me. Well done sir!

Offline silent sniper

« Reply #123 on: March 18, 2020, 09:22:38 am »
Looks great!

Online Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #124 on: March 18, 2020, 11:34:28 am »
Looks great!
I’m gonna have to get to working on mine soon. I roughed out a hickory stave and still need to get it floor tillered. It definitely takes longer without using the normal vise set up.

Kyle

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #125 on: March 18, 2020, 09:09:18 pm »
I’m pretty psyched with the recipient I drew and would like to think there was some consideration giving me that person. The criteria says “make the best bow you are able to make” for me that is sinew/juniper combo. The same style bow I hold a couple world records with. I’ll post pictures soon of a stave and aftermath. All Utah ski resorts are closed so my job coaching some of the best free skiers in the world is on hold for the foreseeable future. I do however have 2 kids and am now a homeschool dad. Still I’m happy to have this project to give me another thing to keep my mind occupied.
Stand by.

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #126 on: March 18, 2020, 09:36:10 pm »
I’m pretty psyched with the recipient I drew and would like to think there was some consideration giving me that person. The criteria says “make the best bow you are able to make” for me that is sinew/juniper combo. The same style bow I hold a couple world records with. I’ll post pictures soon of a stave and aftermath. All Utah ski resorts are closed so my job coaching some of the best free skiers in the world is on hold for the foreseeable future. I do however have 2 kids and am now a homeschool dad. Still I’m happy to have this project to give me another thing to keep my mind occupied.
Stand by.

You got my attention.  I can't wait to see what you build!

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #127 on: March 19, 2020, 08:02:09 am »
Nice bow Matt

Offline Bubbabowyer

« Reply #128 on: March 19, 2020, 03:36:22 pm »
Trying something different. Man I hope my victim likes it. Just getting the handle joints married up here.

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #129 on: March 19, 2020, 08:36:50 pm »
Wow!  That gonna be awesome man!
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline M2A

« Reply #130 on: March 20, 2020, 07:39:06 am »
That looks great Matt.

Looks like a cool combo of materials there BB.

Looking forward to seeing pics of that juniper Chuck. Not something that grows round these parts.

Hope to have some progress to show over the weekend for myself. Just taking my time plugging away at it.

Mike

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #131 on: March 22, 2020, 02:23:47 pm »
Well guys I've made a little progress. I've got a really nice piece of winged elm roughed out. It's still in a rough shape but I see a beauty of a bow in it. It's one of the first bows that I have started that I can't quite invision the finished product yet.

I have all kinds of exotic woods, horn, antler, bones and a couple snake skins to choose from. I would like to see if I can get some input from everyone on tip overlays and maybe even some finish designs. If you can think of it I probably have it as far as materials. I've never done any painting on a bow before so I'm not sure that is something that would consider at this time.
I would like everyone to give ideas, suggestions and pictures if possible of your vote for tip overlays and finishing touches. I will choose what you guys suggest. And hopefully my victom will be the one to reveal the winning design.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline M2A

« Reply #132 on: March 22, 2020, 08:59:04 pm »
I got 1 3" winged elm in the rafters at work. Might be the only one I ever find so i been in no hurry to start on it. So I'm looking forward to see what you make Patrick. I'm always good for suggestions :). You thinking stiff handle or bendy?

Having a hard time getting pictures downloaded tonight, it happens sometimes. Non-the-less  will give my weekly update. Got the handle roughed out and limbs straightened out. Put about 2 inches of reflex in the limbs while giving them a light heat treatment. Pretty pleased about how this piece of maple is coming along. Going to let it sit for a few days just to be on the safe side. Going to give it a much better heat treatment later on. Hope to be able to show good progress on the tiller next weekend. Will post a few pics of where Im at now as soon as I can get things figured out.
Mike       

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #133 on: March 22, 2020, 09:32:35 pm »
Mike, it will definitely be a stiff handle and 95% sure it will be my r/d fury design.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #134 on: March 23, 2020, 06:18:52 am »
Thinking about the yew as I’ve only built one in the past so I started on an Osage bendy too. It’s  55” long. Floor tiller is done. Now I’ll sinew the back.

https://imgur.com/a/pJBJpgb