Author Topic: 2020 Bow Trade - Sign up closed  (Read 77174 times)

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
Re: 2020 Bow Trade - Sign up closed
« Reply #375 on: August 17, 2020, 09:00:53 pm »
ok no picture yet but here's what i gotta do

-1. pray this works
1. make the bow bend well (so close hopefully)
2. make the string align well (im sorry but i am not gonna send my guy a bow with a string exactly on the side of the handle lol)
3. see if its necessary to remove the limb twist in the bow after all of this (i flubbed up even when PD told me to focus on the limb twist at first) but its twisting the string off of the handle even more.
4. make a good handle (ive just rounded it off so it wont hurt my hand when i hand draw it)
5. add frills if im confident (hopefully some tip overlay, maybe a leather handle, maaaaaaaayyyybbeee a shelf depending on how it shoots??? and maybe an inlay if not.)
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline M2A

« Reply #376 on: August 19, 2020, 07:19:58 pm »
Good luck Deerhunter, take your time but continue to make progress. :)

Took a chance on this build. Has some minor natural deflex in the handle caused by a branch that did not go all the way through. Did the best I could to build it into the handle area. So the handle is a bit over built in places to insure it would remain static, but the wood in the limbs is some real fine stuff.

Ran about 20 arrows through it today just short of F/D. Pic below is 1" shy of F/D. Hope to take just a little weight off the tips yet and clean it up some. Would like to be able to start running arrows through it this weekend but it may take a few extra days to get to that point.Pretty pleased with it so far.
IMG_3808 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_3809 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_3811 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #377 on: August 21, 2020, 06:12:14 am »
 Mike,
           I blew that handle up on my PC...Man that thing is puuuurrrdy! Nice use of that knotty deflexed area in the handle... That, along with your tillering job will last someone a lifetime...Your unstrung profile is excellent along with the balance on that bend/tiller...You deserve credit on that job for sure...

Don

Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #378 on: August 21, 2020, 09:32:45 am »
the sets getting worse, gonna need to take some wood off....

Offline sleek

« Reply #379 on: August 21, 2020, 03:28:33 pm »

Sounds like it's time to grab another stick man... Sorry too say.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline bushboy

« Reply #380 on: August 21, 2020, 04:13:15 pm »
 :Maybe try steaming some reflex in with localized steam...allow some time and lock in the changes with dry heat..just a thought...

Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #381 on: August 21, 2020, 09:57:53 pm »

Sounds like it's time to grab another stick man... Sorry too say.

maybe.... i got a white oak stave that may make a really nice bow... after the white oak stave ill be all out of staves that i have a good chance of making into a bow. i got 2 hickory but there are some gnarly knots... like big knots.... i want to leave this bow knowing i did everything i could, but then again, i would hate to think i gave my person a bad bow... might be time to go out and cut some hackberry to put in a heat box/hot car... i also now know that there is always of a limb where i take too much wood off because that side is uneven... we'll see but ill go cuts some hackberry probably

Offline bushboy

« Reply #382 on: August 23, 2020, 06:37:13 pm »
Getting there...
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #383 on: August 23, 2020, 06:41:09 pm »
Pic...

bownarra

« Reply #384 on: August 24, 2020, 07:18:25 am »
Went back over the last few pages, seeing some nice work fellas.

Been working on 2, a locust and an osage. 6 inches to go on the osage but only 2" left to go to F/D on the locust. Wanted to get a few pics up tonight drawn in hand but thats gonna have to wait a few days.

I been using one of those cheap carabiner clips on my tillering string to make fast adjustments on string lenght. I used this same clip one the last couple bows I made. Almost came back to bit me today. Was check the feel of the draw in hand on the locust piece much of the day as I was getting close on the tillering. The cheap metal ended up not being able to take the stress and began to bend. Lucky for me I caught it just in time. Guess i'll be out to the hardware store this week to get a few quick links that I can screw closed and that will take the stress. Figured I'd share a pic to maybe save someone from making that type of mistake. Will only be using these clips as hat hangers from now on :)
IMG_3802 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr

Go to a rock climbing shop and buy a cheap snapgate krab 20Kn+ breaking strain :)   They also do cheap pullys that are great for tillering boards :)

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #385 on: August 24, 2020, 08:07:03 pm »
I use steel carabiners.

I hope I can make this handle work.  I may have to layer up some layer soaked in glue to build back up the back side of the handle on one side.  I got overzealous rasping and didn’t realize how much I took off.  Still feels good in the hand though as I draw. 

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #386 on: August 26, 2020, 11:03:59 am »
Hopefully everyone is getting close to completion on their builds.  Just a reminder that there is only a little over a month and a half left!

Please let me know of any issues any of you may have run into.  Also, it is probably a good idea to refrain from doing any writing on your bows until you get confirmation from me that your person is still good to go.

Thanks all.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #387 on: August 26, 2020, 09:19:02 pm »
Handles done...

Offline sleek

« Reply #388 on: August 26, 2020, 09:54:12 pm »
Handles done...
Man, that looks nice!
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Mafort

« Reply #389 on: August 27, 2020, 02:36:07 pm »
Finished mine. Hickory backed Tempered Osage. 66” long 66lbs@27”. Now since I didn’t cover the hickory backing up during the glue up I gotta find a way to to cover it up and make it look pretty.