Author Topic: Hemp stalk backing  (Read 2223 times)

Offline aznboi3644

Re: Hemp stalk backing
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2020, 12:50:01 pm »
Where do you live? Maybe we can trade for some fibers.  I would like to make my own hemp bow string.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2020, 02:15:42 pm »
There are several varieties of hemp used for other than smoke.  The fiber varieties grow up to 6 feet as do some of the oil producing varieties.  Not a lot os stalks still standing, but a friend is in the cbd business and there is a plot about a mile from here.  I will try to get some pics during the growing season.  During WWII, it was planted extensively for rope, along railroad right of ways and non tillable plots, some of that got spread around by birds.  It is a fairly hardy plant.
Hawk dancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Bubbabowyer

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2020, 07:06:00 pm »
I live in Kentucky. We build alot of barns for them hemp industry. I've seen many over 8 feet tall some maybe ten. They cut them with a chainsaw.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2020, 12:10:45 am »
Them are your best fibers!  Rett them and separate them, or beat 'em and treat 'em? something like that. Probably easier just to but some, but who ever thought we did things the easy way (lol) >:D!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Bubbabowyer

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2020, 06:02:45 pm »
My interest lie in the woody inner. I need more testing of its abilities as a back or belly heated not heated sinews. I know the bark is strong but how's that woody stuff? I've seen mini versions and I'm here to tell ya, they're pretty danged snappy ... my head hurts! Too much thinkin makes me tired lol

Offline Yellowstave

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2020, 07:37:26 pm »
So I made a 2 foot mini bow from a stalk. I just cut it down like you would a limb bow and left the woody stalk at the belly. The fibers of the rind popped off of the woody part after a few shots. It was suprising while it lived. Once the back popped off it failed. I think one of those trees about the 3 or 4 inches in diameter would make a snappy bow. But alas I'm just another idjit.