Author Topic: Piking a recurve  (Read 3144 times)

Offline bassman

Re: Piking a recurve
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2020, 11:47:07 am »
40 lb bow shooting 194. What grain arrow are you shooting at what draw?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2020, 12:06:09 pm »
maybe go down to 2 strands,,  ;D

Offline PatM

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2020, 12:09:49 pm »
I don't think you'll see a difference worth measuring except for the draw weight going up.  I think people attribute too many features of hooks and siyahs  closer to how a compound behaves.  It's just not that dramatic.
I'm not expecting a lot. I'm getting closer to 200fps and I'm looking for 1 or 2 fps gains. I'm finding that there is more change just from measuring errors/changes. I finished one yesterday that shot 194. That was 1 fps gain over my best. I shot it a few times and it was steady at 194. Then I remeasured the DW and found that it had lost a pound to 39. I dropped the weight of the arrow 10 gr and this time it shot 198. I was pumped. The next day the bow was back up to 40#. I trust my scale so I think it's the angle I'm looking at the string scale. It changes a bit depending on how much I want to bend over (lol) I know I'm being anal but inconsistencies like this bother me.

The one pound difference is the wood recovering overnight. An organic bow is always going to have those slight variables, however tiny.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2020, 12:18:00 pm »
so tomorrow it could go 200,,, :)

Offline DC

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2020, 12:26:30 pm »
40 lb bow shooting 194. What grain arrow are you shooting at what draw?
400 grains(10gpp)@ 28"

I'm at six now. Continuous loop. Minimum serving. Minimum twists. Don't think it can be much lighter. :D I just ran out of Fast Flight and had to replace it with D97. It seems a lot heavier so I'm going back and reusing the FF from older bows.

I don't think you'll see a difference worth measuring except for the draw weight going up.  I think people attribute too many features of hooks and siyahs  closer to how a compound behaves.  It's just not that dramatic.
I'm not expecting a lot. I'm getting closer to 200fps and I'm looking for 1 or 2 fps gains. I'm finding that there is more change just from measuring errors/changes. I finished one yesterday that shot 194. That was 1 fps gain over my best. I shot it a few times and it was steady at 194. Then I remeasured the DW and found that it had lost a pound to 39. I dropped the weight of the arrow 10 gr and this time it shot 198. I was pumped. The next day the bow was back up to 40#. I trust my scale so I think it's the angle I'm looking at the string scale. It changes a bit depending on how much I want to bend over (lol) I know I'm being anal but inconsistencies like this bother me.

The one pound difference is the wood recovering overnight. An organic bow is always going to have those slight variables, however tiny.

It's funny that I could accept that when the bows were in the 170-180 range but now I'm getting close to the big number I'm starting to get picky ;D ;D I guess I should stop that ;D
so tomorrow it could go 200,,, :)

Yeah but only because the DW was over 40#

Offline bassman

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2020, 12:35:16 pm »
With those numbers you are quiet the builder.Good luck on your quest for 200 fps.

Offline DC

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2020, 12:44:59 pm »
With those numbers you are quiet the builder.Good luck on your quest for 200 fps.

Thanks, just standing on shoulders here :D

This needs a little more. When I first shot this bow it was with a Flemish D97 string that weighed 57 grains. It shot 193. Then I found the old FF continuous. It weighed 33 grains. Oh boy, I thought, this will help. It shot 194. 10grains of arrow equals 4 fps but 24 grains of string only equals 1 fps. Neither string has centre serving yet.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2020, 01:40:33 pm »
your much closer to 200 than 100.. just call it 200 ;D

Offline bassman

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2020, 01:50:10 pm »
Glad you brought that up about endless loop,and Flemish twist. My findings are same as yours. On the Wall one bow maker was making claims of 10 fps increase with endless loop strings when compared to Flemish twist strings all else being equal.

Offline DC

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2020, 01:53:23 pm »
I evened out the dimensions of the recurves and tips(made the bigger match the smaller) and gained 1 fps. 5 in a row at 195. 195 is a milestone, right ;D
 Love this stuff ;D

Offline DC

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2020, 02:26:29 pm »
Glad you brought that up about endless loop,and Flemish twist. My findings are same as yours. On the Wall one bow maker was making claims of 10 fps increase with endless loop strings when compared to Flemish twist strings all else being equal.
That seems like quite a lot. The Flemish is heavier at the tips where the weight doesn't matter as much as at the centre so I don't see that there would be much diff. I've noticed that some bows respond more to removal of tip weight than others. No sure why.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2020, 04:05:03 pm »
I could see how an endless string could add 10# over a Flemish string. About 80-90% of the Flemish strings I see are made up using a counter-clockwise twist. But the individual strands themselves have a slight clock-wise twist. Makes a fellow wonder...…..Art

Offline bassman

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2020, 09:47:04 pm »
Archer 1 you mean 10 fps. If you have a chrony try it for your self, and post the results. That was not my findings at all. Tied properly one is as good as the other.Just another personal choice.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2020, 04:43:41 am »
Sorry, yeah, that should be 10FPS Bassman. A little slip of the finger there...…….

My chrony died of a bullet wound, can't draw a bow anymore, but there may be other ways to test the different string twist. Will post something if I find any difference...……..Art