Author Topic: A bow for my son Adam  (Read 4665 times)

Offline jeffp51

A bow for my son Adam
« on: February 22, 2020, 10:21:25 pm »
Every bow seems to have a story.  This one starts about 4 years ago when I tried to make a bow for my oldest son for Christmas.  About a week before, however, the osage stave I was working on exploded during the tillering process.  I ended up making him a white oak bow instead, but he was never that happy with it and hinted multiple times that an osage bow would be way cooler--especially since his little brother did get one that Christmas.

My son has spent the past two years doing church service in Brazil, and I meant the whole time to make him an osage bow before he got home--which I put off until just before he returned in December.  He got a half-completed bow under the tree.  I spent the rest of Christmas break and January finishing it off.  In the process of thinning the tips, I went to far, and the recurves started to pull out.  The tips needed some underlays.  I decided to use the one still-healthy limb of the Christmas bow (I never throw stuff away) to do the laminations.  The older osage is considerably lighter than the main limbs.  My son and I both really like the contrast.  It is also nice for me to have a piece of that old bow serving on the new one.  Here are some stats:

-Length:  62"  nock-to-nock
-Draw weight: 50# @ 28"
-The osage stave came from a stash that Mullet traded to me a while back.  Since it is just a bit on the short side, I deflexed the fades some and then recurved the tips. 
-Overlays are made from African blackwood.
-Finish is 8 coats of tung oil polished with pumice powder to give a satin finish.
-Grip is two layers of thin buckskin from a deer my neighbor shot.  Made from scraps left over from the quiver in the pictures.

I also made 6 bamboo arrows for the bow. They shoot like rockets out of this bow.  It is the first time I have wanted a chrono to see just how fast.   They are just under 10 grains/pound for this bow, which is surely part of it, but the bow feels snappy nevertheless.

Overall I am very pleased with the way it turned out.  there is a nice degree of snake and character in the limbs and the grain is really pretty.  The well-seasoned osage has a beautiful red-gold color to it.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 10:35:25 pm by jeffp51 »

Offline jeffp51

Re: A bow for my son Adam
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 10:37:40 pm »
not sure why it isn't liking my pictures in need of rotation.  They rotate on my computer, but not in the post.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 10:42:10 pm »
more

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 10:44:02 pm »
just a few more

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2020, 11:46:32 pm »
Way to go, Pop!  Nice job!  Congrats to Adam on completing his mission work.  I still like that backdrop in the pics! (S)
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2020, 04:32:27 am »
Great story.  I like the contrasted Osage underlays

Offline rps3

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2020, 05:43:09 am »
You made up for the delay with a finely crafted bow. I hope he gets many years of service out of it.

Offline Will B

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2020, 06:19:07 am »
Great looking bow!  I love the under-lays. Very nice work. Your son looks really pleased with it!

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2020, 06:54:24 am »
Excellent job. Good idea using the broken bows limb for the belly overlay. It came out great. Seems your son is happy with this one.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2020, 07:07:53 am »
Very nice bow Jeff. I’m betting that one is nicer than one he would have gotten 4 years ago. His oak bow will probably just hang on a wall now, but I’m sure it served him well.

Your son sounds like a very nice young man. I’m sure you are very proud of him.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2020, 08:30:07 am »
That is a great bow and great story.  Congrats on another great build!

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2020, 11:34:29 am »
Very nice sir!
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

bownarra

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2020, 12:05:53 pm »
Very nice bow. Got to love a deflexed recurve :)

Offline Hans H

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2020, 01:00:07 pm »
Very well done, like it
Hans
Hans,      Bavaria, Germany

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2020, 05:11:53 pm »
Nice!! I really like it!!

My dad did a 2 year mission in Brazil before he went to BYU. It helps when im learning Spanish  :)

im planning on going on one too and i hope i get a coming home present like that!!!!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.