Author Topic: ERC Lightweight Longbow  (Read 952 times)

Offline Santanasaur

ERC Lightweight Longbow
« on: February 28, 2020, 02:39:21 pm »
Ok, last one. I had a tillering spurt this week. This one’s 30#at 28” 70 ntn and 1” wide at the handle. The back is a chased growth ring for safety,  because of a precarious knot that didn’t seem like it would survive with violated fibers.  One the side of that knot there are the remnants of an old delamination crack, but it seems fully healed over and solid. I didn’t want to back this and just went for it to see if it would break. I opted for cowardice in putting the knot in the lower limb, in the interest of avoiding a break near my face. In terms of bow design i would have placed it on the top limb.  The wood surprised me with how elastic it is and how well it handles a stacked belly. Next time I’ll try for more weight. I cut another cedar recently and have new staves drying but this was my last dry piece of cedar. I really like this wood but I know it’s a heartbreaker. I accidentally drew a 30” arrow and it was fine, so hopefully this bow will last.

Offline Santanasaur

Re: ERC Lightweight Longbow
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 02:40:14 pm »
hi res and more pictures here
https://imgur.com/gallery/6aGN1Yy

Offline Yellowstave

Re: ERC Lightweight Longbow
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 07:39:27 am »
Wow I hope it lasts a while. That ole vixen erc. She has broken my heart before. But that is a beauty!