Author Topic: neck knives  (Read 4263 times)

Offline Handforged

• Limestone Canyon Forge, Monarch MT.
neck knives
« on: March 14, 2020, 02:11:13 pm »
I'm working on some neck knives this morning. I know the standard is a little drop point straight blade but I never bought into that. I make them but I much prefer curves. Even small knives can maximize the grip and cutting area. These are two of my favorites. Top one is a clam shell skinner. These fit wonderfully into the hand and make dressing and skinning in the field a breeze. I designed this one after a northeastern native knife( Algonquin?) that I had seen made from a clam shell. So if you imagine the rounded shape of a clam shell that one edge was sharpened, thus my representation in steel.  This one is made from a farriers rasp, just for fun. I like the character in the steel. Not sure what this one will get for scales but it should be really nice.

The lower knife is styled after a small nessmuk. In 52100 steel, this one has a lot of curves and was developed over time and feel. This is most likely the best design for a multipurpose neck knife I have played with. It works VERY well and this is the knife I carry myself. Forward curvature In the blade, distal taper and a LARGE 1/2" lanyard hole. Pretty sure this one will get osage orange scales and a stainless lanyard tube.
These are all for an upcoming show. I try to make a few of these here and there so that I don't need to make a bunch in a hurry before a large sale.

These are far from finished but I thought you guys might enjoy pictures. Enjoy!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 03:42:36 pm by Handforged »
At the forge- 406-781-9098

Offline Trapper Rob

Re: neck knives
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2020, 03:17:31 pm »
Nice work

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2020, 03:58:43 pm »
I really like that clamshell design.  I bet that feels great in the hand.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Handforged

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2020, 04:08:45 pm »
I really like that clamshell design.  I bet that feels great in the hand.
It really does. I make a good many knives for professional guides, having been one for years myself. That little clam shell feels very natural in the hand. It also has a very natural movement when skinning. It follows the natural curve of your arm as it travels on it's radius. Having two fingers around the grip and one along the spine makes the cut where your finger points or directs. Ancient technology, designed by a native a thousand years ago, I'm just trying to not screw it up. They knew a LOT more than I do.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2020, 09:52:10 pm »
Yeah, sometimes those "primitive" people had things pretty well figured out, didn't they?   ;D
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Handforged

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2020, 10:37:23 pm »
Finished the lower knife very simply. After heat treating it was etched for a deep black color, 550 cord wrapped handle. It was then treated with a thinned epoxy resin. Simple and effective.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2020, 08:40:14 am »
Nice.  I just noticed you're in Montana--we're almost neighbors (I'm in western Wyoming).  Never been to Monarch, but almost took a job in Deer Lodge a few years back and I've spent some time exploring the area around Anaconda.  Pretty country!  I spent a night in a tent somewhere up above Anaconda, and over the course of the night had my sleep disturbed by both coyotes sniffing around, and a herd of elk thundering through the clearing.  Pretty cool.

If you finish that clamshell knife and decide to put it up for sale or trade, I might be interested.  I don't have a whole lot to trade at the moment but I bet I could come up with something worthwhile.

T
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Handforged

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2020, 11:27:29 am »
Thanks, you're welcome to PM me. I'm just posting pictures for you guys, I don't want to violate any rules here. Just thought you guys might enjoy seeing some of my work as I go along.

On a side note, I'll most likely finish the clamshell knife today or tomorrow. Tryin to figure out the type of wood to use on these is sometimes the hardest part. I have to stare at it a while.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2020, 11:00:07 am »
Very nice knives!  The calm shell blade would look good with antler or a local hardwood, I think!  I need another neck knife! (lol) (f)!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Handforged

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2020, 11:47:57 am »
Very nice knives!  The calm shell blade would look good with antler or a local hardwood, I think!  I need another neck knife! (lol) (f)!
Hawkdancer

I wish we had local hard woods. Now antler we have, in spades. The hardest wood we have in my area is cottonwood. My mountain is covered in Subalpine spruce and doug fir.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2020, 12:13:46 pm »
Hawkdancer

I wish we had local hard woods. Now antler we have, in spades. The hardest wood we have in my area is cottonwood. My mountain is covered in Subalpine spruce and doug fir.

I bet you could find a nice piece of chokecherry or serviceberry.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Handforged

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2020, 12:17:03 pm »
Hawkdancer

it's been reported that there are some maples and cedars in the south-eastern part of the state but I've never seen them. The truth is you can make a knife handle out of anything, especially if it's stabilized. Of course some woods are prettier than others and white wood of any kind to me just isn't very serviceable. I have a closet full of various exotics and burls, just need to decide what would look the best.

I bet you could find a nice piece of chokecherry or serviceberry.

Offline Handforged

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2020, 03:49:16 pm »
Here's the clamshell knife finished out with Bastogne walnut scales. Being so small, I chose a heavily figured piece with some large figure lines in it. I think it turned out well. It's a razor blade essentially as the band-aid on my left hand can attest.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2020, 04:36:04 pm »
Wow, that turned out really nice.   ;D
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Handforged

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2020, 06:01:29 pm »
Wow, that turned out really nice.   ;D

THANKS! I am contemplating a neck type sheath or just making a cool little belt sheath for it. Maybe with a pocket clip....hmmm, the possibilities.