Author Topic: Boo backed hickory 72" 45#@28" 50+@32"  (Read 757 times)

Offline EdwardS

Boo backed hickory 72" 45#@28" 50+@32"
« on: March 23, 2020, 04:53:09 pm »
This is my latest bow (wanted to make the swap but my health interfered.)  Boo backed hickory R/D, 72" long and 45# at 28 and certainly 50+ at the 32-36" I draw.  It will do 36" but I'm still getting my strength back from being sick for so long.  I'm still technically sick, but I'm supposed to work out before my back surgery (scoliosis/kyphosis repair) so I'm pulling strings again.

I made this more than two years ago but with the divorce, and falling deathly ill more than once plus a few moves in there I've only now gotten around to it.

This one is pretty barebones, I wanted a simple bow to give my father but he's unable to pull it and wanted it to get some use.  Well, it's been sat in a corner for a while, so one of the limbs is a bit deformed but it originally was dead on tiller.  No tip overlays, just bare 'boo.  Grip is waxed jute and the strike plate is beaver tail.  It looks a little funky but it hits with impunity.

Side note-I'm never doing another one of these.  Gluing up Perry reflex with minimal tools was something I never want to do again, especially as it doesn't seem to shoot any better than any of my other bows (and nothing is like my hornbow.)  Epoxy hurts my lungs to boot.  (They're super sensitive because of my illness.)

Also, this was my first (and last) Flemish string.  I did terribly.  It's falling apart everywhere but it still shoots so I'm not messing with it.  If I get access to new string material I'll make it a new endless.  I'm much more comfortable with making those.

You can see full draw pic in the pinch grip thread.  If I get a longer set of arrows I'll post full draw with them.

https://imgur.com/a/Qt5yjep

If anyone knows how to fix this after it sat on its end for months I'm all ears.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Boo backed hickory 72" 45#@28" 50+@32"
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 05:49:43 pm »
EdwardS....Sorry to hear about your illness,and sometimes life is just not fair in many ways.As far as the bow goes accuracy and ease of draw can not be under rated and one of the main things to enjoy about a bow IMO.I like those kind of bows.Sounds like your feeling better to get to this project.Time has a way of healing some things.
I could be wrong but the bow was stored in the wrong way IMO as you eluded to.Hanging from a peg vertically or on a rack horizontally would of been better.I see no difference in that either way.It's good you got other bows to shoot too.
My fix on it would be to remove the bamboo if you want it to look better.Heat treat the hickory evenly into D/R profile again and glue new bamboo on there with smooth on glue.The smooth on has no vapors to it at all and gives you time to clamp or wrap the laminations together.
As far as flemish twist string making I guess it just takes practice making strings that way but strings can be a personal preference thing too.
Wish you all the luck in the world after your operation.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline DC

Re: Boo backed hickory 72" 45#@28" 50+@32"
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 11:33:37 am »
I have heated and bent epoxy boo backed bows. I've only done it a couple of times. Maitus mentioned it in this thread https://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,67363.msg946430.html#msg946430
so I tried it and it worked fine. I used it to take reflex out. I did try it to put a little reflex in but it didn't hold. I suppose there is some risk in doing it but sometimes you just can't stand the look of a bend ;D