Author Topic: Tree ID?  (Read 1108 times)

Offline Ricardovanleeuwen

Tree ID?
« on: March 15, 2020, 08:53:45 am »
Annyone can help me is this tree? Found in the Netherlands. Cant find Anny decent leaf from last year

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Tree ID?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2020, 11:02:23 am »
Most of us are not familiar with trees that grow in the Netherlands. Try your local Agricultural/Horticultural authorities or Universities' Ag/Hort websites. A good tree identification book like the Audubon(for us) tree guide or Peterson's(also for us) tree guide will help.
 Type of bark(smooth, scaly,furrowed, etc.) , structure of the tree(limb attitude and branching), leaf shape and characteristics(smooth margin or toothed, shape, texture, color etc.) and habitat(wet or dry location) all help with the ID process.
If you were planning on harvesting the tree in the pics follow the rules for harvesting and prepping the tree trunk and the following staves. After the wood has seasoned do a bend test with a small piece. Make a test bow making it longer and a bit wider than you normally would. If that works you can tweek the design by slightly shortening and/or narrow the width. If it works out being good bow wood you'll already have extra staves to work with. If not use it for firewood, tomato stakes or whatever you can think of.
Good luck and keep us posted with your progress.   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2020, 11:53:42 am »
I tought maybe its one of the same species as you"l have there as we also have lot of species that i see passing by om the forum such as Hazel, elm (lots of), Elder berry , black locust ect. We unfortunatly dont have Hickory or osage ( but i Will Just buy An ossage stave once im experienced enough to not waste te stave)

Offline Mikkolaht

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2020, 12:10:53 pm »
Does it smell bitter when you damage it?
To me it looks like some sort of bird cherry.

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2020, 12:39:15 pm »
Ik check that when i see one again

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2020, 10:22:47 am »
 Today i went back to the place and smelled It and it was bitter indeed. I checked bird Cherry and i think its It. I cut a shoot that's about 1 inch diameter and maybe  40 or 50 inch long, didn't measure It yet ( only took a small piece because only had a knife with me) but wow, its tough stuff, had it more Them half cut and tried to break of but the fibers were stretchimg and stretching. Going to make a little shortbow out of it, i dont Cate about the draw weight or lenght. Just a bow to play with or for Friends who are interested in shooting  or so

Offline Mikkolaht

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2020, 11:43:45 am »
My fellow Finnish bowyers have been praising the qualities of bird cherry.
Tiller carefully and heat treat it, the wood loves it.