Author Topic: Spliced PLP curiosity bow  (Read 944 times)

Offline backtowood B2W

Spliced PLP curiosity bow
« on: March 27, 2020, 04:07:59 am »
As purple leaf plum can take a lot, and as I wanted to practice my first splice with a softer wood, I gave this 30" long, and 2,5" in diameter, piece, a try. Splitted it in halves and spliced them. It was quit thin in the handle so I glued up some driftwood.
So the upper limb have back set and the lower D/R. There is a wiggle in the handle I wanted to use for a closer to center arrow pass.
It measures 56" ntn and pulls 35# at 25".
It took about 1,5" static set and about 0,5" dynamic set.
Thank you for your thoughts I appreciate it. :)

Thank you guys for showing your bows recently. Keeps me up in this tough times. Beside all the horrific about covid19, I can see nature taking a big breath and exhale.
BTW !
Greets Martin (from Austria)

Offline backtowood B2W

Re: Spliced PLP curiosity bow
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 04:09:22 am »
some more

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 05:06:43 am »
Bold experiment to get an arrow flinger.Very nice work too.Challenging tillering two different profilied limbs.Did it answer a few questions for you?Got a top side profile pic?
PS....Challenging splice too I might add.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 08:52:55 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 05:46:20 am »
Nice job, always fun to experiment :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline backtowood B2W

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 08:25:37 am »
Thank you guys! I gave the bow to our boys flute teacher, she wanna try it for horseback archery. She promised me some pictures!. That are all pics I have so far.
Bold experiment to get an arrow flinger.Very nice work too.Challenging tillering two different profilied limbs.Did it answer a few questions for you?Got a top side profile pic?

Mainly I was curios about tillering and if I can make a decent bow. Hardest part was in the beginning to get the inners balanced and somehow get a typical bend for each limb. There it took most set also.
When I got a nice bend strung, it wasn't far to fine tuning which happened during shooting it in. My wife complained about getting hit by the arrow which I could feel as. So I put an arrow rest made of superglued leather pieces and wrapped the handle with linen cord. Since then she was quite happy.
I have made one bamboo arrow (30# spine) which flies like a c-arrow out of this bow. Also my heavier dog woods are hitting target quite impressive but the longer distance shots (30m) are more challenging with them.

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2020, 08:30:01 am »
Very cool bow. Nice work.

Offline HH~

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 10:53:39 am »
good splice, like the cap over it. Hard to seen FD draw pic with that background. Look gud to me. Nice work.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 11:06:12 am »
Good job, nice splice :D. Interesting tips, did you have a plan, why three steps?

Offline backtowood B2W

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2020, 01:21:59 pm »
thank you!
sorry for the lack of pics and the poor background
Good job, nice splice :D. Interesting tips, did you have a plan, why three steps?
. Actually the nock with the three steps only have two now. I cut one step of to give it a rounder shape so it won't spike the horse to much. I used the steps in fine tillering - as I said I started early to shot it and this helped me a bit to play with the tiller, but at the end I went for the inner nocks which I planed from the beginning - it is symmetrical by the way.
this steps are also helpful for first brace and highly reflexed bows. Now you can use them as stringing grooves.
not my favorite style but Paul Comstock's article made me to try some nocks with stringing grooves.

Offline simk

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2020, 03:30:17 pm »
Hello to Austria,
...i know you like the challanging staves  ;D  makes it  impossible to judge tiller  ;D anyways, I like the optics a lot! what is the wrap? really looking forward to work the PLP i got from you  :OK
All the best!
thank you!

By the way:
Code: [Select]
[quote]this steps are also helpful for first brace and highly reflexed bows[/quote]Could you explain?

« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 04:52:24 pm by simk »
--- the queen rules ----