Author Topic: Pine pitch and tallow  (Read 5184 times)

Online Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Pine pitch and tallow
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2020, 09:00:02 am »
I've made leather dressing from rendered beef fat(deer would work too), bees wax and pine pitch(basically like Montana Pitch Blend). Not sure of the ratios but it would be easy enough to figure it out. You want it to be a paste consistency.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2020, 09:12:52 am »
So my tallow cooled hard at room temp, does the was keep it from hardening up?
In the woods I find my peace

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2020, 10:18:18 am »
Yes, the tallow and bees wax keeps it from hardening up.
 I make pitch glue also with hard, brittle pitch(same for leather dressing), beeswax(or tallow) and finely ground charcoal(or dried rabbit or deer dung instead). The beeswax softens the hard pitch and the charcoal(or dung) adds body. If you don't use hard, brittle pitch the dressing or pitch glue will remain tacky. Different ratios for each application.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2020, 11:37:25 am »
Allyn,
I think it is a matter of word usage, but fat is usually considered raw.  Beef fat is often called tallow when raw, or rendered, pork fat is called lard when rendered, beef fat becomes tallow when rendered; but I reserve the right to mix up my terms.  There was quite a thread on the topic about a year ago, including cooking and purifying methods.  I believe JW said you can get a very white tallow by boiling it in water, but start heating them at the same time!  I would suggest doing it outdoors! 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2020, 12:03:59 pm »
If your using tallow for water proofing wouldn't boiling it in water defeat the purpose?

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2020, 01:24:35 pm »
The pure fat will float to the top and the impurities will sink. Let it cool and scoop the fat off the top.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2020, 05:49:27 pm »
I don’t have any deer tallow but I do mix my own tendered bacon grease and pine pitch primitive finish and heated into a mulberry bow.  I accidentally left it outside in my truck bed for a whole day and night during a rain storm.  After I realized it I went out and just saw beads of water all over it.  Strung it up and shot it a few times with no more gained set.  I always heat it in real well over a fire.  Really soaks in there.  I finished it with some paste wax.

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2020, 08:13:35 pm »
Pat that is genius!

Aznboi, that gives me a strong case to go forward with it