Author Topic: Ricardo's arrows  (Read 8430 times)

Offline Ricardovanleeuwen

Ricardo's arrows
« on: March 30, 2020, 02:14:17 pm »
I start this topic to post pictures of the arrows i make , also for my self to see the first Arrow and compacte It to future arrows  ;D and ask questions when having one. At the moment my biggest problem is the fletching. I tried 2 (whole and partly feathers) and 3 feathers fletch. For the 3 fletch i tried with only tying the ends but then the arrows are so loud,not that i intens to Hunt with Them already but i dont like the sound and it sounds like It alles the arrows down. Them i tried to glue Them between the binding but they keep popping loose and then there is a gap between the Shaft and Arrow. I tried to glue with only the front part tied down and when i also tie the rear i pull the feather tightly so the gap should tighten op also but It dont help. Anny tips? Here Comes a few pics.   
First is the problem, second is a bone  point i made from soup bone. Other pics are from few different point styles i try and whole arrows i i made
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 02:17:41 pm by Ricardovanleeuwen »

Offline Mesophilic

Re: Ricardo's arrows
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 10:01:16 am »
What type of glue are you using?  And, is there a finish on the arrows thst you're trying to glue the fletches to?
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 03:18:36 pm »
Last glue is called 100% repair gel glue aso used contact glue and super (fast dry ) glue

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 03:19:10 pm »
 No finish btw

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 03:25:10 pm »
No finish btw

yeah if you didnt scrape the outer layer then it shoulden't need a finish. one of the perks of cane
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2020, 04:40:25 pm »
No cane used, its dogwood and rose

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2020, 06:27:41 am »
Ricardo...If  you want to secure them arrow heads really good you need to make some pine pitch glue.There's a U tube in primitive skills section called Isaacs' pine pitch tutorial.
Hide glue works well for securing those feathers too.I should do a build along on making hide glue sometime.Got the pictures yet.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2020, 08:09:01 pm »
Thanks for the advise, i forgot to mention that i tried hide glue too but i Will try again with fresh made because i think i messed up with the glue i made earlyer because finding the good amount of water to add is a bit hard. I did glue the points with 100% repair
gel glue wich seems to still do its job but is quite expensive. The closest forest for Pine pits isnt within walking or bike distance and i have a low budget at the moment so driving with the car ain't an option top so that have to wait. Now An Idea falls out of the sky, isnt It right that the Pine pitch glue is kind of moldet around the wrapping and point? Of so, would It also work  to wrap  toilet paper surrsated with wallpaper glue around It and seal with pva glue?

Offline Buck67

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2020, 06:14:55 am »
Well, this isn't "primitive" but if you are just getting started and are trying to keep it inexpensive this works pretty good.  For the binding of the feathers and the points I use regular Elmers carpenters glue watered down a bit with cotton sewing thread.  Paint the glue on, wrap the thread, paint again and then wipe off the excess.

You could try Hot glue to mount your points.  Cut off a piece of the hot glue tube, heat it in a spoon, dip the arrowhead in it and then quickly mount it.

That will get you started and won't break your budget.

bownarra

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2020, 12:13:36 pm »
Hand fletching is tricky!
Get a piece of stiff leather, plastic, cardboard etc cut a 3" circle out of it.
Cutting a hole in the centre the diameter of your arrow shafts.
Then make three cuts with a sharp knife radiating out from the centre hole. The cuts should be equally spaced around the circle eg. 120 degrees apart.
With a bit of adjustment these can be used to hold your feathers in place whilst they are being glued.
If you make two you can use one for the front of the feather and one at the back. You can get good results with these 'tools'.
Hide glue is a good cheap glue that you can make yourself easily. It is very strong and actually a very good fletching glue once you get the hang of using it.
Superglue works for fletching but you would really need a fletching jig to use it.

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2020, 02:11:40 pm »
These arrows i did yesterday, the right one is only wrapped, the others are glued from the side after i wrapped, the tape is because i used threat that was too thick so It would hurt my finger.

I also made a point from a broken potato knife and its really good at penetrating and can fit on thinner shafts, one of my better arrows have the point.  Almost hitted a rabbit with It today also, then i couldnt find my "best Arrow" so i was kind of in panic (lol). But after some more searching i found It back

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2020, 03:25:33 pm »
Do annyone know how much that shoots raise in spine from Just harvested to half year or year inside? At the moment im sitting with tooth picks , atlatel darts and everything inbetween

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2020, 05:36:21 pm »
This is a vague answer but they stiffen up quite a bit. I've only used a few different shoots but they all seemed to stiffen differently so I can't give a definitive answer. Cut them at about 3/8"(1cm) and cut them long then you can move up or down the shoot to find the spine you want. Cobble up a spine tester. I saw one that was two nails and a two lb bunch of bananas.

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2020, 07:07:06 pm »
This is a vague answer but they stiffen up quite a bit. I've only used a few different shoots but they all seemed to stiffen differently so I can't give a definitive answer. Cut them at about 3/8"(1cm) and cut them long then you can move up or down the shoot to find the spine you want. Cobble up a spine tester. I saw one that was two nails and a two lb bunch of bananas.
  with spine tester do you mean the real  thing with the scale like pointer and the diagram or Just 2 nails and a weight and a ruler? I have the second one, 2 nails in work bench, a piece of brick Duc,close to 2lb (weighted on human scale, dont got kitchen scale) taped on an hook with a pointer pointing sideways to a piece of tape measure.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2020, 07:34:19 am »
I’m a simple arrow fletcher and 9/10 times make mine two fletch Native American style with my own little twist on them.  As for the noise. If your feathers protrude out from the shaft a lot they will wade in the air.

Here’s my style of hand fletching goose feathers.  I don’t mind the small gap between the feather and the shaft.  After trimming them down they fly straight and quiet.