Author Topic: New member just getting started  (Read 9322 times)

Offline jamesh76

New member just getting started
« on: March 31, 2020, 07:10:25 pm »
I will start with a couple pics then introduce myself on the computer since pics are on my phone

Offline jamesh76

Re: New member just getting started
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 07:19:40 pm »

Offline jamesh76

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 07:37:16 pm »
Hello all and thank you for allowing me to join this site. My name is James and I am from 45 minutes South of Kansas City.  I have been a long time lurker and reading a lot. I finally decided to attempt one of my own. I have read Jawge's Site, Eric K and the gizmo, multiple build alongs etc.

This will be my first attempt at a Oak Board Bow.  I have several Osage and Hickory Staves drying. But it will be a while before they are ready. In the mean time, I figure this would be good practice. I did chase a ring and get one of the osage staves close to size. But it has some checks and I decided to let it dry more and then take another look at it.

Home Depot Boards..... Oh my, What a chore it is to find a decent one. This one was the best of the batch. It was only 64" long but the grain looked pretty decent to a rookies eye. I plan on backing it with brown paper.
please bear with me for a few questions:
  I assume you glue the board, apply brown paper then put glue over the paper and sand evenly after dry?

As for this bow, It is 64" long, I assume after I cut in nocks it will be a 63NTN bow? Still learning terminology.
It is full width at handle, I glued on another piece of Hardwood which is centered on the center of the bow and 10" long.
I intend to make a shelf on this bow.
I don't have a lot of expectations, but I do have patience. If it breaks, I will make another one.
I decided on 3/8 wide tips.  I came in 15" from the end and tapered 1 1/2" to the 3/8 Tips.
I flipped the board over and tapered the belly straight from the current fade width of 3/4" to 1/2" at the tips
once handle area is dry, I plan to round the edges and see how floor tiller is if I need to?
then to start on the long string once my tiller tree is made.

hopefully I am somewhat on the right path :)

James

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 08:21:21 pm »
I assume you glue the board, apply brown paper then put glue over the paper and sand evenly after dry?

Welcome, from a fellow rookie. I backed my first bow with old bed sheet material, using Titebond III. I put a layer of glue on the bow and let it sit a few minutes to soak in a bit, then laid the fabric down and put another layer of glue on top of the fabric. I used a brayer to spread the glue and it worked great for that. I don't think I will ever use a finger to spread glue again after using the brayer. It should work the same for your paper backing but the glue won't soak through as well so be sure it is wet between the paper and bow when you are putting it on.

As for this bow, It is 64" long, I assume after I cut in nocks it will be a 63NTN bow?

Depends on how much tip you leave outside the nocks. Lots of people leave closer to an inch, so that would be a 62" NTN bow.

I don't have a lot of expectations, but I do have patience. If it breaks, I will make another one.

That's a good attitude to have. It is more of a journey than a destination, if you look on it all as an education then none of the time is wasted.

I flipped the board over and tapered the belly straight from the current fade width of 3/4" to 1/2" at the tips

What draw weight and length are you shooting for? The board started at 1.5" wide?

Mark

Offline jamesh76

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 08:38:09 pm »

What draw weight and length are you shooting for? The board started at 1.5" wide?

Mark
[/quote]

I may not have worded that very well. The bow is 1 1/2" wide, 3/4" thick.  The belly side thickness was tapered from 3/4(just past the fades from the handle) to 1/2" at the end of board I wanted to leave it 3/4" just past the fades knowing I could thin the thickness of the belly later as I tiller and lighten the draw weight.   Just getting it to a rough dimension.

I draw 27", 40-45#, if not I know some kids! :)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 08:46:39 pm by jamesh76 »

Offline jamesh76

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2020, 08:51:07 pm »
Tip

Offline jamesh76

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2020, 11:42:13 pm »
there is also a little bit of reflex in this board. Hopefully, it will assist with any set I may get in the long run.

Offline jamesh76

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2020, 04:44:21 pm »
 Tillering board and gizmo
  I made the gizmo too tall at 1 3/4". May shorten it. Also drill hole a tad off center but I'm not sure it matters.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2020, 05:51:23 pm »
Your gizmo will work better if it is 6" long and 1" tall, the one you have will be bumping on the string before you get close to the tips.

Offline jamesh76

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2020, 07:16:08 pm »
Your gizmo will work better if it is 6" long and 1" tall, the one you have will be bumping on the string before you get close to the tips.

ok, it is exactly 6" long, but 1 3/4" wide.  I will cut a bit of the height off.  Probably leave the angles as is.

Offline jamesh76

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2020, 03:18:30 pm »
Flemish string jih done, Gizmo shortened to 1" tall.  Any feedback of comments so far? Plan to. Brown paper back tonight before I start tillering.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2020, 03:22:24 pm »
you tested out the numbers on the jig right?? i did my jig and the numbers it gave me and the numbers i have are all wonked up
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2020, 03:50:23 pm »
Instead of numbers on the jig I put a strip of masking tape. As I made strings I measured the finished stretched out length and wrote that on the jig. After you  finish a few strings strings you will be able to calibrate the jig. Also I think that everybody twists a bit different and makes their loops a bit different etc. After you've made a few you will fall into a pattern and your strings will become more consistent. I think I replaced the masking tape a couple of times because the numbers were all screwy. It's very nice to measure what you need, pick your pin and make the string and actually have it come out the length you planned but it won't happen right away.

Offline jamesh76

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2020, 04:21:44 pm »
 Ok, I'll try that. They are written in pencil.  Not sure if that jig will be AMO or ASL.

Offline jamesh76

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2020, 04:24:27 pm »
Wife took a while to get home with my paper.... started on the faces.  My handle area is 5" and I have 2.5" fades. Not sure on angle. It's pretty much a straight line. I got a glue line at the end so I need to fade it in better.  Do the edges get rounded more? And the end coming out like a rounded finger or are the ends straight where it meets belly? Gonna see if I can research it at work tonight as I work midnights.