Author Topic: 2020 Virtual Bowmaking Festival  (Read 37107 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: 2020 Virtual Bowmaking Festival
« Reply #255 on: April 05, 2020, 02:04:22 pm »
Looking good Ryan.

Dave don’t forget I helped with the roof. Glad your done. My tongue is sore from holding it just right. My roof is going to need replacing pretty soon to.

I think I’m going to try to put just a little reflex in the bottom tip. I usually don’t do it like this. Hope I don’t regret this.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #256 on: April 05, 2020, 02:21:44 pm »
I think I’m happy with that.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #257 on: April 05, 2020, 02:36:52 pm »
I hate roof work.  Y’all are making me jealous of the work getting done.  My soon to be ex wife works at a grocery store and a worker there was tested positive for Corona.  So the kids are spending the next two weeks straight with me.  I’m still working as an essential electrician.  I did get to take the kids fishing today.  Nailed my first bass of 2020 and SHE WAS A HOG!  No scale, dumb me left it at home, but I would say a conservative 5-6lb. 

I can’t wait to get back into the shop.  I got a layout planned for my trade bow I’m itching to get roughed out.

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #258 on: April 05, 2020, 02:42:09 pm »
Thanks for your help bj. Thise pics were from smaller sections. I've got it almost completely repaired. Everytine its strip off the old,  tear out the rotten plywood, fix any rotten truss members, replace the insulation that is wet, then re shingle so I have to tackle it in small sections.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #259 on: April 05, 2020, 03:00:50 pm »
Should I be worried about this crack? I’m worried it might be delamination or something
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #260 on: April 05, 2020, 03:30:58 pm »
Dave, fast work on that roof!  I spent one summer in college roofing.  Liked the money (for a 20 year old who had only mowed lawns and washed dishes up to that point, it was good pay) and the muscles, but it was too much like work.

Got a few arrows out of the Badgerling's new bow just now.  Meant to take some pics but we were both so excited I totally forgot.  She can't get it to full draw--I think I misjudged her draw length, so back to the rasp and scraper.  But it does indeed sling an arrow, so that's exciting.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #261 on: April 05, 2020, 03:34:35 pm »
Remember now Dave....It's nice to feel needed.
My Robin keeps me aware of that many many times.
Deerhunter21...Can you get your fingernail in it or is it just a dark line?The usual flood it with thin super glue and hope for the best.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 03:55:40 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Rākau

• Aotearoa-the land of the long white cloud
« Reply #262 on: April 05, 2020, 03:38:49 pm »
damn that's a nice splice pearlie, those contrasting staves are neat, having not dealt with osage am I correct in assuming the will eventually darken up and look the same?

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #263 on: April 05, 2020, 04:00:34 pm »
WB  There is always something special about those first few arrows from a new bow. That is made even better when they are from a young child. I have a bow I'm skinning in a bit for my nephew. Now you will find the hard part is keeping the kid in arrows!

Ed, I hope Robin had a great birthday and I hope to see you both someday soon!

Russel, Soak it with cheap superglue and hope for the best. Most of the time those small cracks don't go deep and when filled with CA glue, never cause an issue.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #264 on: April 05, 2020, 04:04:35 pm »
Nice batch of staves Rakau, very clean and straight looking. Sweet profile on your girlfriend's bow PA Steve. BJ, I'm glad you got a bit of time away from the aggravating equipment repairs and into the bow shop my friend. Same for you Dave, roofing is no fun compared to bow time. Ryan that bow looks awesome buddy. Nice splice work Pearly, I know you only expect the most precise work outta yourself and most always get it. Great work by all others here this weekend as well.

I spent a few hours over at the shop today. Got my side profile reduced leaving mid limbs to tips wide for corrections to mild twist on one limb and reflexing on the caul later. Found a crack on belly but shouldn't be a problem. Realized that I wouldn't have enough depth in the handle area for a stiff handle so took the handle down to 1" thickness. Decided to  go for a bit of a d/r bow so put it on the caul and did a long slow heating at handle to fades and attempted to add a bit of deflex there. Took it off the caul a couple hours later, not much deflex gained at handles/fades. Tomorrow I'll thin the limbs a bit more and add reflex to them and reduce the handle thickness a bit more and add more reflex there. That was all for today, enjoy the rest of you're Sunday all.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #265 on: April 05, 2020, 04:11:54 pm »
Greg, I"m happy that you got some shop time in.  I'm missing you and Sharon.  Knowoing I wont see you guys for awhile makes it somehow tuffer.  I cant even give you crap about the cubs for awhile, except that, at least they are still tied for first place!

Also, while everyone is online, vote for BOM!

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #266 on: April 05, 2020, 04:23:47 pm »
maybe your the donut guy from that other video....

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #267 on: April 05, 2020, 04:40:50 pm »
maybe your the donut guy from that other video....

Ya caught that subtle joke, eh Pauly. ;D

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #268 on: April 05, 2020, 04:43:55 pm »
Hmm, I don't have a lot of superglue

I got the limbs bending well, here's a pic. Gonna go in a hunt for superglue.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #269 on: April 05, 2020, 04:45:15 pm »
Greg, I"m happy that you got some shop time in.  I'm missing you and Sharon.  Knowoing I wont see you guys for awhile makes it somehow tuffer.  I cant even give you crap about the cubs for awhile, except that, at least they are still tied for first place!

Also, while everyone is online, vote for BOM!

They'll all be in first place if there are no games this year. Sharon says Hi, we're hoping to still be able to catch up with you and your young ones this year at some point. :)