Author Topic: 2020 Virtual Bowmaking Festival  (Read 36442 times)

Offline Bob Barnes

Re: 2020 Virtual Bowmaking Festival
« Reply #285 on: April 06, 2020, 07:11:51 am »
It was good to get together with old as well as new friends.  It helped ease the pain of missing a weekend TAS shoot that I had been looking forward to for several months.  Thanks to all.
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #286 on: April 06, 2020, 07:22:21 am »
Made it home safe. These meets always end to soon. This one especially so. It’s always good to be home,  but it seems like I never left..lol

Thanks for invite Dave. Had a great turnout
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #287 on: April 06, 2020, 07:46:37 am »
Glad you made it back, BJ.   :D  I'm back in Wyoming, too.  The drive was a lot shorter than I remember it.  Today, back to the grind, if you can call practicing my instruments, writing songs, exercising with my family, and doing on-line singalongs a grind.

Thanks for a fun weekend, everybody.
T
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #288 on: April 06, 2020, 08:55:54 am »
Great weekend and usual in these gatherings i didnt get much done. Started out strong but then just kicked back and enjoyed the show.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #289 on: April 06, 2020, 09:04:43 am »
wow, i woke up in my bed this morning! was it all just a dream????

thanks you guys, I had a great weekend that i really needed to have. My dads not to happy about the shavings though.

If this bow turns out good, ill give it to my dad as a present. if it turns out great... well, ill put it in the bow trade. I don't know if my dad would really enjoy a bow though. i don't think he would shoot it without me pushing him too. but we'll see!

Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #290 on: April 06, 2020, 10:11:07 am »
What a great weekend. Best I've had in months. I really enjoyed seeing everyone's bows and projects they're working on. Thanks to Dave and to all participants. It really felt like I was at a gathering with some top notch bowyers. I'm staying optimistic that things will subside somewhat and Marshall will go on as planned. That would be great as I know many are looking forward to it. Great job everyone!!
   As far as my arrows for Quebec...six are fletched and the rest should be done this week. The bow for Annie (my girlfriend) was roughed to brace but has a group of pin knots that are suspect...so....taking Pearl's advice I'm going to back it with some thin goat rawhide before proceeding with the tiller. Hopefully she'll be shooting it at Marshall. Hope everyone stays safe and healthy.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #291 on: April 06, 2020, 11:01:39 am »
Like so many of these events that I have been to I didn't get much done but had fun watching the more talented and skilled attendees make great stuff.
Well, I did bring a pie tho...  ;)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #292 on: April 06, 2020, 12:29:50 pm »
Who said it only had to be a weekend gathering?  I say we hang out until all of this quarantine stuff is over.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline ksnow

« Reply #293 on: April 06, 2020, 12:40:46 pm »
That might be long enough for me to actually finish something, that's if I get started.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #294 on: April 06, 2020, 01:07:32 pm »
Hate to be the rain on this parade, but I say we keep this going. The chances of Marshall, MI being a "go" are about at zero. Our governor this morning mentioned possibly extending our stay at home order, which already runs through April. Marshall would be just 3 weeks later, just don't see that happening boys.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline ksnow

« Reply #295 on: April 06, 2020, 01:15:11 pm »
Of all the (insert inappropriate words here) things to happen.

I will miss Marshall for sure this year, if it doesn't happen.

Better start working on something then.

Offline DC

« Reply #296 on: April 06, 2020, 01:18:39 pm »
I really don't thing anything is going to happen this year. Even if someone were to declare the "all clear" I think folks will stay hunkered down for a while.

Offline DC

« Reply #297 on: April 06, 2020, 01:57:38 pm »
My project. A 60" Yew bendy. I've never done a bendy handle that I remember so should be interesting. The stave is one of those long tapered splits that you get when things don't go quite right. It's 3" wide at one end and 3/4" wide at the other and the thin end was split in three spots. By the time I cut the splits off it was 60.5" long so I decided on a bendy. It's got a couple of wiggles but no knots. It must be about 80-90 RPI because I had to use a 10x lens to see them. It was cut in 2014 so it should be dry.

I need a little info. This is really my first shortish (60") straight bow. It's a bendy Yew tillered to 40#@28". Should I be expecting some set. I got about 1 1/2-2" and I don't like the look. Just curious if I screwed the tiller or if it was expected.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #298 on: April 06, 2020, 02:49:24 pm »
Well, if this festival gets extended, I may actually get around to posting something!  I did do a good bit of work on a hackberry stave and messed with some arrows over the weekend, which is more consistent work that I have gotten in a while.  Watching this thread was fun and inspiring. 

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #299 on: April 06, 2020, 03:05:15 pm »
I'm in...the Arkansas governor...one of the hold-outs as far as a stay home order... just announced that school campuses are closed the rest of this school year...online only.  I continued my osage work... sort of... I dropped a huge stave on my big toe and busted the heck out of the nail... and there's no way I'm heading to a doctor with it.  It'll heal.
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...