Author Topic: California Baywood Bow  (Read 1109 times)

Offline wstanley

California Baywood Bow
« on: April 05, 2020, 03:34:59 pm »
Fourth bow I made over four years ago. 60'' TTT, 35-38lbs, at 28-30'' (full draw pic is at 28"). Cut the small tree down in a small creek canyon where they grow nice and straight. Worked fairly green, striped bark off and left as is. You can see tool marks on belly and back. One small knot encountered on belly after log was split, filled in with charcoal/pitch glue. Dark blemish at one end is common in baywood, seems to be associated to an old branch. The small pin hole is a a little less than a 1/4'' deep and is directly on the other side of that blemish. Handle is milkweed/dogbane/flannel brush cordage. You could call this a Yokut/central California native style bow? Thanks for looking.

Offline wstanley

Re: California Baywood Bow
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 03:36:04 pm »

Offline wstanley

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2020, 03:41:14 pm »
Links to shooting this bow Ishi style. I have been shooting like this for 3-4 years. Its hard but lots of fun. Mark Swanson's YouTube video was a huge help. He makes great observations and points about how this style works. Prior to his video I relied on simply looking at Ishi's photos.

I am not very good as you will see. Days I am better, and others I am worse. My last shot tells all! Those paces I take are 1 meter long. Get your mouse ready to fast-forward to the shooting parts. I only have 2 arrows!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27mNE9XC62o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vxE5vtr9uo&t=21s

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 04:55:07 pm »
Nice primitive looking bow. I’ve tried shooting ishi style and dang do the arrows fly wayyyyy off from usual. Lol.  It’s a whole different skill that’s for sure.

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2020, 04:58:56 pm »
How long are your arrows and what are the positive aspects of this style?

Offline Hamish

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2020, 05:08:36 pm »
Nice bow. Looks very authentic.

Never heard of Cali Baywood. What other sorts of bow wood is it similar to, in regard to appearance and properties?

Offline wstanley

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2020, 06:57:39 pm »
Thanks all.

Pat: 31”. Darn good question PatM, as I often wonder why they did this. I would say it’s advantage is this style allows to shoot and get rid of arrows quickly. As you know they were ambush hunters. Secondly it’s very comfortabke  in a sitting/crouching portions - such as behind a blind. The muscles and just the way your back works I think it’s a more ergonomic position when crouched - if that makes sense. A few more reasons but I think they also lend to shooting on the left side of the bow as well. I never wear an arm guard or  finger cover (or whatever it’s called). Never needed to.

Hamish I could nit tell you what it compares to. It’s main disadvantage is that it’s a bit heavy. But I think it has good compression and tension strength. I really don’t know what it compares to. I’ve been told it’s a porous wood so it doesn’t grow rings, I think I’m using the term correctly . So You can get away with violating the back a bit and youlll be ok.

I’ll let the experts chime in on it’s characteristics as I am very novice at this.

Offline wstanley

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2020, 07:08:26 pm »
One more advantage I’ve noticed PatM. Everything is symmetrical when I shoot. My aiming begins lby aligning my target with my sternum. The draw begins with my hands in front of my sternum and the arrow going straight to the target. My chin sits directly above the arrow so I have the middle of my body and face  aligned with the arrow and target. I’m not sure this is an advantage or more of a technique. Allows you to keep your eye on the target which is crucial. I am never looking straight at the arrow tip, it’s just in my line of site.