Author Topic: family history  (Read 3598 times)

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
family history
« on: April 06, 2020, 01:11:30 pm »
So i was wondering if any of you guys do family history. I find its fun to connect with my ancestors. This quarantine might be the best time to try and find out who your ancestors are! I found out im mostly German and English.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline ksnow

Re: family history
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2020, 01:17:16 pm »
We've got ours back to 1634 here in North America and 1 generation further in England. Lots of history there.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2020, 01:22:08 pm »
I'm 2nd generation Irish(57%{Sligo})on my Father's side. His Dad came from England in the late 1800 to NYC then Savannah, GA, Dad was born in 1900. On my Mom's side it's mostly English with a touch of Cajun. The Henderson's(Mom's) go back to the early 1700 in NC but went to Arkansas, Louisiana(Cajun, great granny), Mississippi, Florida and finally Georgia. My Mom's Dad was in the paper and timber industry.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2020, 01:38:54 pm »
My sister is a devout genealogist. She's got the Case side back to about the American Revolution when we appeared in Ontario, Canada. She's stuck there but she thinks we were United Empire Loyalists. All other branches pretty much go to the British Isles. My paternal Grandmother was Texan, although her father was from the Ilse of Man.

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2020, 01:44:17 pm »
well actually here's a picture of it. i guess its not germany but everywhere around germany lol

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2020, 03:18:06 pm »
I'm First Generation  here on my Father's side. Not much to look up and I only been here 65+ years so not far to look back ...  ;)

Offline Strichev

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2020, 03:18:33 pm »
According to old church books my ancestors have been living in the same valley (an area of some 50 square miles) since 1490's on my father's side and maybe a few decades less on my mother's side. They most likely originally came from what is today Serbia and relocated to today's Slovenia due to the Ottomans and stayed in the same area for the next 500 years or so. In fact both family names can be traced to their respecitve villages as far back as 1600's. My father's surname is mentioned in relation to "attempting to incite a peasant's revolt". The guy got punished with 30 strikes using a "light stick", tried to incite another revolt a few years later and got sentenced to 30 heavy stripes using a "heavy stick". No mention of defying authorities for the next 370 years after that. On my mother's side the surname is mentioned across several generations as clergymen or their brothers. More recently, one of my great great grandfathers came from Italy some time before 1900.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2020, 03:59:32 pm »
I love my direct family's history. I've "studied" my dads side extensively. Im the 5th generation off the boat from Germany. My family earned its way over here by twisting up rope in exchange for rides on ships. It took them a few years and several stops. But they made it and here we all were and are. They had intended on settling in another German Catholic community about 15 miles farther away. But, the carts were falling apart, the weather was miserable and the ox were whooped. So they stopped in Fowler, Michigan. Needless to say I belong to one of those super enormous midwest German Catholic families where every family had 6-10 kids each back in "the day".
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2020, 04:13:24 pm »
100% Dutch as far as I know.Pretty much all farmers.My sister did a heritage history of us long ago talking to very old local relatives of us tracing us clear back to the Netherlands.I have long shirt tail relatives there.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 02:28:40 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2020, 06:16:57 pm »
My wife got me one of those DNA history kits.  The results didn't line up with what we've been told on my Dad's side.   The small percentage of African was a surprise.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2020, 06:48:08 pm »
My Mother's side is Portuguese/ German. Rutherfords for the German side and Josephs on the Portuguese. Dad's side is Irish, Leatham for that side. 5th generation Floridian.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 08:28:31 am by mullet »
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2020, 10:11:48 pm »
Haven't done a DNA thing yet, but my grandfather on my mother's side traces back to Flanders and Zeeland into the mid 1500s, her mother claimed she was English, but her maiden name was Craig, which could be Scottish or Irish, maybe northern England. Her father or grandfather came through Canada.  Pretty sure my grandmother on my dad's side was Irish(McCoy), and his dad was German, but Dad changed his name to McConnell when he was 16.  I'll likely do a DNA swab the next time they have a sale and maybe find out more.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2020, 10:20:52 pm »
Haven't done a DNA thing yet, but my grandfather on my mother's side traces back to Flanders and Zeeland into the mid 1500s, her mother claimed she was English, but her maiden name was Craig, which could be Scottish or Irish, maybe northern England. Her father or grandfather came through Canada.  Pretty sure my grandmother on my dad's side was Irish(McCoy), and his dad was German, but Dad changed his name to McConnell when he was 16.  I'll likely do a DNA swab the next time they have a sale and maybe find out more.
Hawkdancer

I dont think i would ever want to do a dna test if theres a needle involved. if theres not maybe ill try it someday. all of the percentages are just names tracked back to the 1700. i just hook my name up to my parents and then their parents and their parents. the troublesome part is when you get to a point where the oldest one in the family doesnt know his great great grandparents. then the digging begins. but the fun part is, is that you got the whole family, and i mean whole family people in the family on the site and soon you got a huuuuuggggeee tree. sometimes you find connections to people you dont know.

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2020, 10:44:46 am »
Some od my family did the DNA tests and it pretty much reaffirmed what we knew already, that we're from England.

I have several relatives that have done alot of family history work but I'm personally not all that interested in my pre-American ancestors for whatever reason.  I guess I just don't connect.

One of my aunts uncovered a letter on an ancestor.  He was a soldier in the Revolutionary War and was captured by the British.  The captives were tied to a log and a British commander went down the line asking for names.  He spared my ancestor and one other gentleman because they had good last names, then split the heads of the other prisoners with his saber.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Parnell

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2020, 05:52:47 pm »
Found out I'm about 1% from Ghana/Code d'Ivoire according to the genetic test.  Plenty of Neanderthal thrown in there, too.

Diversity is one of my strengths, ya know...
1’—>1’