Author Topic: What makes a bow Primitive?  (Read 4708 times)

Offline PatM

Re: What makes a bow Primitive?
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2020, 04:21:37 pm »
Well except the guy who hasn't made a bow yet.

He is like a woman who has never had a child holding forth on the  differences between natural and c section.

What a moronic thing to say; something I would expect to hear from a 14-yr old. I had no clue my inquiry would inspire this kind of defensiveness FFS.

Have a great time with your forum.

It didn't really come across as an inquiry.

Offline wstanley

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2020, 04:42:11 pm »
Weylin you make a good point. When you talk about bashing one an other. I obviously prefer making native style bows and I use more “traditional” methods. I have huge respect for the talented folks on here some who have more experience making bows than I have been alive.. Yes I do drive my modem car to the trailhead when off to get juniper. I’m not crazy I realize I’m a modern man.I don’t get bashed on here but often it’s comments such as Handfoged ssaid that bothers me. If more primitive bowyers think their  above folks who use modern tools that’s just silly.  But at the same time don’t tell me I’m lost trying to make “primitive bow” in the year 2020. That’s equally silly.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2020, 05:06:19 pm »
Weylin you make a good point. When you talk about bashing one an other. I obviously prefer making native style bows and I use more “traditional” methods. I have huge respect for the talented folks on here some who have more experience making bows than I have been alive.. Yes I do drive my modem car to the trailhead when off to get juniper. I’m not crazy I realize I’m a modern man.I don’t get bashed on here but often it’s comments such as Handfoged ssaid that bothers me. If more primitive bowyers think their  above folks who use modern tools that’s just silly.  But at the same time don’t tell me I’m lost trying to make “primitive bow” in the year 2020. That’s equally silly.

I'm with you. You should be able to proudly share your process, and doubtless you'll find many who admire your work and how you got there, including me. There's a difference between feeling pride and satisfaction with how you build your bows and looking down on others for doing it differently, which I think you appreciate.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2020, 05:45:57 pm »
It takes time and experience to learn making natural material bows.The more you make or break of the different styles/designs/and different types of wood the more insight you have period.The more appreciation you have in looking at someone else's work.Knowing what needed to be done to get what is shown.It's amazing how many more bows and experience I was able to get making bows getting a band saw,but still using hand tools to fine tune.It's not about the tools used either but how they are used with an educated eye for a success.
Goals are goals no matter how different they are.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 05:55:31 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Weylin

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2020, 06:02:30 pm »
It takes time and experience to learn making natural material bows.The more you make or break of the different styles/designs/and different types of wood the more insight you have period.The more appreciation you have in looking at someone else's work.Knowing what needed to be done to get what is shown.It's amazing how many more bows and experience I was able to get making bows getting a band saw,but still using hand tools to fine tune.It's not about the tools used either but how they are used with an educated eye for a success.
Goals are goals no matter how different they are.

Well said

Offline DC

« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2020, 07:07:08 pm »
It's just a word. A thousand years from now compounds will be "primitive".

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2020, 07:58:39 pm »
I don't think either one of us will care by then.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Traxx

« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2020, 10:20:38 pm »
I feel for a True "Primitive" bow,the method of manufacture would be as important as the material..If people dont want to put in to that,its OK,,They can still enjoy archery and its manufacture,in any way and under any other name they desire...

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2020, 11:45:11 pm »
Mayhap, "traditional" or "archaic" would be better terms for our craft!  If you wish to go "aboriginal" using only stone tools, good for you!  That doesn't make your bow any more traditional than the one I made using a bandsaw, and scraping with a Buck hunting knife, and decorating with a rawhide Meare Heath style wrapping.   To each his/her own!  Next comment is:  "who the hell cares!  The bow shoots good or it doesn't".   Btw, you cannot use a term to define itself, perhaps those were examples of usage.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2020, 11:47:00 pm »
We must be going stir crazy or suffering severe cabin fever! >:D >:D (lol) (S). I got almost 2 feet of snow this week!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2020, 11:52:49 pm »
In the day and age of computer everything, online shopping and everything else. I would think any bow not made with CNC machines aluminum and carbon fiber would be considered primitive. If it's one piece of wood? prehistoric....

The argument of what is more primitive in 2020 is futile at best. Does something made with primitive tools make it more primitive? I don't think it does. Does it really matter how you arrive at the same place as long as you get there?  I often find these discussions hilarious. "Who's techniques are more primitive?" Who cares. Unless you live in a cave without electricity, no vehicle or modern convenience it's all hypocrisy anyway. If you do, how would you know this discussion was going on?

Lets just say that I do not believe that Primitive people were making Home Depot board bows or and laminated bows that require machined surfaces to glue-up?

No offense to any of that just, I don't really see too many primitive bows here.

And yet we have numerous examples in museums of radically decrowned bows, and what is that, but a board? There are many examples of early bows made from split out pieces of wood from felled trees and standing trees. And what are those? Boards.

Well except the guy who hasn't made a bow yet.

He is like a woman who has never had a child holding forth on the  differences between natural and c section.

What a moronic thing to say; something I would expect to hear from a 14-yr old. I had no clue my inquiry would inspire this kind of defensiveness FFS.

Have a great time with your forum.

I'd like to point out to you that we have no toleration for name-calling and insults on this forum. Furthermore, this is a family forum and your "FFS" is unwelcome in here and if you cannot act like in a civil and adult manner then you may continue to find your welcome here greatly strained.

Perhaps this forum is not for you. Especially when we have actual 14 yr old members that are capable of carrying on adult conversations without being insulting.

Good day, sir.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2020, 01:50:45 am »
This may be helpful... no it won't....yes it will...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohDB5gbtaEQ&t=20s
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2020, 02:15:06 am »
Oh Del, I enjoyed that, what a great way to break the tension

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2020, 04:56:42 am »
Cool Del...I always liked Monty Python.
I guess to sum up this senseless conversation is to just say....It's Archery !@#$%^&*()_+!!!!! Appreciate it or leave it.
BowEd
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2020, 06:13:11 am »
This may be helpful... no it won't....yes it will...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohDB5gbtaEQ&t=20s
Del

Loved it Del. Or didn’t I, I did. No I didn’t. Yes I did.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise