Author Topic: What makes a bow Primitive?  (Read 4792 times)

The Zen Master

What makes a bow Primitive?
« on: April 16, 2020, 08:57:55 am »
What, exactly, makes a bow a "Primitive Bow"?

I ask this because many of the bows I see here could never be produced, with primitive resources or tools.

Offline PatM

Re: What makes a bow Primitive?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 09:22:37 am »
Don't worry about it.  ;)

Many of the bows on here could actually be made with primitive tools and lots of time.

Offline ksnow

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 09:49:48 am »
There used to be surveys in Primitive Archer magazine on this very question.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 10:01:28 am »
that depends on your opinion of primitive.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Ricardovanleeuwen

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 10:37:59 am »
In my point of view a REAL primitive bow is one made with only hand tools and no use of synthetisterials such as shelac, pva glue, dacron, ect.

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2020, 10:50:03 am »
In my point of view a REAL primitive bow is one made with only hand tools and no use of synthetisterials such as shelac, pva glue, dacron, ect.

I agree with your definition, but a minor issue or critique?

Shellac is actually a natural product and has been in use in India for 3000+ years

Offline RyanY

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 11:06:03 am »

Even this definition could be criticized if not using stone tools and techniques to gather the materials.

If you make a high performance recurve using all primitive tools and techniques, is it still primitive? For the sake of this forum I think a more broad and loose definition of all wood bows or even self bows is helpful and inclusive.

Offline wstanley

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2020, 11:14:13 am »
I use no power tools and no more than an axe, wood file, and sand paper. I often grab a sharp flake when I'm working my bows. I work them green, as I think most prehistoric Northern Native Americans did. All my arrows I make with obsidian, including the foreshaft hole I drill out and knocks. That includes cutting the plant to begin with. Could I use a serrated knife, sure but what fun is that? Grab my little serrated obsidian flake and i'll have that puppy cut in 20 seconds. This is what I like though, and that's why I do it. I don't NEED to be primitive but I enjoy the challenge of learning that process. That takes nothing away from those who use power tools, just want to make that clear.

I steam reflex all my bows (semi-green), no heat guns or anything. I don't own a whatcha m'a call it "bow horse" or whatever. I like simplicity and don't have the room quite honest for a plethora of tools. Never used a draw knife! I do own one though that my friend gave me.

I really don't think it took them much longer than we take to make our bows.  Maybe not the sheephorn/sinew bows of the Rocky Mountains (thats just plain time consuming primitive or not). The ingenuity and skill with their tools would have been interesting to see.

Nothing against those who use power tools, we live in a modern world, but the word Primitive on this website (at times) could use a small little asterisk next to it. Oh boy I hope I'm not offending anyone! I enjoy looking at all the different bow types on this website and I think that diversity is great.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2020, 11:14:44 am »
As far as a REAL Primitive Bow. That would be one that was made in centuries past. Most are either in museums or rotting in the ground.

Anything else is a recreation no matter how you make it.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline HH~

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2020, 11:42:12 am »
So a bow with a shelf is as primitive as any other made with a bandsaw and steel I reckon. Good to know.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2020, 11:47:55 am »
I agree with BJ, we are re-creating bows of the past.  Since none of us has a "time machine" to take us back however far, we use the materials and equipment we have available or choose.  Look how quickly the eastern Natives adopted firearms when they became available.  The use of natural materials for the bow and the copying of a design of the past.  Most of us don't know how to make cordage and very likely much of the thread used to make strings was done on a spinning wheel.  Have fun, for most of us it is a hobby :BB :-M (AT) (SH) )P(
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Handforged

• Limestone Canyon Forge, Monarch MT.
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2020, 12:04:19 pm »
In the day and age of computer everything, online shopping and everything else. I would think any bow not made with CNC machines aluminum and carbon fiber would be considered primitive. If it's one piece of wood? prehistoric....

The argument of what is more primitive in 2020 is futile at best. Does something made with primitive tools make it more primitive? I don't think it does. Does it really matter how you arrive at the same place as long as you get there?  I often find these discussions hilarious. "Who's techniques are more primitive?" Who cares. Unless you live in a cave without electricity, no vehicle or modern convenience it's all hypocrisy anyway. If you do, how would you know this discussion was going on?
At the forge- 406-781-9098

Offline PatM

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2020, 12:10:03 pm »
I would say the bows made by current basically stone age tribes count as primitive, even if  rudimentary metal tools  may be used.

The Sentinel Island  people for example.

The Zen Master

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2020, 12:11:38 pm »
I use no power tools and no more than an axe, wood file, and sand paper. I often grab a sharp flake when I'm working my bows. I work them green, as I think most prehistoric Northern Native Americans did. All my arrows I make with obsidian, including the foreshaft hole I drill out and knocks. That includes cutting the plant to begin with. Could I use a serrated knife, sure but what fun is that? Grab my little serrated obsidian flake and i'll have that puppy cut in 20 seconds. This is what I like though, and that's why I do it. I don't NEED to be primitive but I enjoy the challenge of learning that process. That takes nothing away from those who use power tools, just want to make that clear.

I steam reflex all my bows (semi-green), no heat guns or anything. I don't own a whatcha m'a call it "bow horse" or whatever. I like simplicity and don't have the room quite honest for a plethora of tools. Never used a draw knife! I do own one though that my friend gave me.

I really don't think it took them much longer than we take to make our bows.  Maybe not the sheephorn/sinew bows of the Rocky Mountains (thats just plain time consuming primitive or not). The ingenuity and skill with their tools would have been interesting to see.

Nothing against those who use power tools, we live in a modern world, but the word Primitive on this website (at times) could use a small little asterisk next to it. Oh boy I hope I'm not offending anyone! I enjoy looking at all the different bow types on this website and I think that diversity is great.

Now THAT is what I am talking about.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2020, 12:14:25 pm »
So a bow with a shelf is as primitive as any other made with a bandsaw and steel I reckon. Good to know.

HH~

The way I see it Shawn. Unless of course it was made several centuries ago. Then it might be more primitive.
Bjrogg

PS Now if you ask me if you get a different type of bow with hand tools. That would be a different question. I do use mostly hand tools only because I like them and find they fit a bowyer very well.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise