Author Topic: Need advice on a lifted splinter  (Read 3843 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Need advice on a lifted splinter
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2020, 10:02:17 pm »
If that was Julia with the static recurve selfbow, I made her bow as well.

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2020, 02:47:54 am »
I don’t have access to much Osage so maybe I feel differently about it .... but were I at that stage I might be tempted to take it down a growth ring or two and sinew back it. I’ve made a couple of sinew backed Osage and they seem “natural” partners to me

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2020, 07:48:26 am »
if you were going to sinew back,, I dont think you woud have to go down a growth ring,, but if you had enough wood ,, it wouldnt hurt

Offline HH~

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2020, 10:39:08 am »
Was the bow repaired on one end? Then, that could be the one. May wanna build her one Eric thats IBO compatible. Hate to see her do well only to have the big wood given to the runner up for a rules violation.

Nice bow if i remeber right from IBO West Virginia.

Shawn~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2020, 10:42:17 am »
That's the one, Julia and her husband Danny are some of my best archery friends, good people.

I did the fix, before and after, there was a lot of hair pulling involved. So far there is not a ladies selfbow class in the IBO, Julia says they need 13 ladies to have one and have come up short so far.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 10:46:18 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline HH~

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2020, 07:56:46 am »
Prolly right. Just need a bow that conforms to the mens rules then I guess. Static is half the definition . . . and like their name they are considered Recurves in IBO World anyhow. I reckon for similiar reasons they don't let backed selfbows compete against selfbows.

Makes sense to me but there are those that get stuck in the "a selfbow is a selfbow is a Selfbow".

HH~

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2020, 08:25:42 am »
Statics properly made are not the same performance wise as as simple selfbow.

I am for a uniform standard everywhere for the selfbow class, no bamboo, no sinew, and no recurves, that would even the playing field.

It is pretty much anything made of natural materials is OK in the class now locally, builders have come a long way in getting modern performance out of bamboo and recurving.

I am not competitive now but the guy who wins is shooting a bamboo backed working recurve osage bow with a recurve handle.

Offline PatM

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2020, 09:50:36 am »
I don't understand why it just can't be one material of any shape.  People are always going on about straight bows being more accurate and forgiving so why would they object to a recurved selfbow of any other shape?

Offline HH~

« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2020, 11:59:52 am »
Their rules and all selfbows are not equal. Backed SB's just flat out out perform none backed SB's. Same for a good statics.

HH~

Offline PatM

« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2020, 12:10:17 pm »
 There's no such thing as a backed selfbow.

The static argument should be offset by the increased accuracy potential of a straight bow.  I guess folks are undecided on that.

Still, there should be a recurved selfbow class rather than excluding them.

Offline HH~

« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2020, 12:45:48 pm »
I did not make IBO rules but I know who did and I shoot by them.

HH~

Offline Gordon

« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2020, 06:49:19 pm »
That is a beautiful repair Eric. Thank you for sharing that.
Gordon