Author Topic: Turkey hunt with my dad  (Read 2862 times)

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
Re: Turkey hunt with my dad
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2020, 06:06:16 pm »
Sounds like a successful hunt Russell. I was pretty sure if he could put up with you on the long ride to Marshall, the turkey hunt should be a breeze. I’m sure you will remember both.
Bjrogg

yeah, but i think he got annoyed with me telling him to sit still lol! now he wants to go out again! YEA!

No, she was just along for the ride.  Like your dad, I think she got some idea of what the big deal was, though.  I spent the rest of the year explaining that seeing a bull 200 yards from the main road after a single calling sequence was not the way this usually worked.   ;D

yeah i told him how lucky we were to just stumble upon a roost without scouting first. Nebraska has a 60% turkey hunt success rate... if you know what your doing!! for us it might be a 20% chance!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2020, 06:07:28 pm »
Russel, ya did real good, Just enjoy the memory's, Oh what I would give to go on just one more hunt with my Dad, It just wasn't meant to be as he died at a very early age 42 and I was just 16. Enjoy everyday that you can with your Dad and count your blessings. Bob

I will bob, i promise  :)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2020, 08:51:50 pm »
Good work, brother!  Keep in mind you and your dad can go look up those city birds and practice talking with them. All the best work on their sexy pick-up lines every chance they get.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2020, 11:59:33 pm »
Wow! 60% success, there's even hope for me!  Here Turkey! here, Turkey!  We did see a big Tom right in town about a mile from the house, and a herd of deer in the same area on a large private lot!  We might have to start up an annual Nebraska Turkey Hunt!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2020, 03:18:14 pm »
Wow! 60% success, there's even hope for me!  Here Turkey! here, Turkey!  We did see a big Tom right in town about a mile from the house, and a herd of deer in the same area on a large private lot!  We might have to start up an annual Nebraska Turkey Hunt!
Hawkdancer

I can see it already! NE, Annual Spring/Fall Turkey camp (at selected state park)!!!

Good work, brother!  Keep in mind you and your dad can go look up those city birds and practice talking with them. All the best work on their sexy pick-up lines every chance they get.

i think we will! but, it seems my pickup lines dont work all to well. last time i tried, i had a flawless execution but the turkey ran!! guess they dont like the ol "are you a parking ticket? because you've got fine written all over you" line.  ;D   :G

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2020, 03:37:05 pm »
That's great, love the story and nothing like spending time with those you love in the woods. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2020, 04:46:25 pm »
Glad you had a good experience especially with your dad.That's hunting...Sometimes the stars aligne just right and the moment is there.Persistence and many hours in the woods does pay off.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2020, 08:19:16 pm »
Hawkdancer

I can see it already! NE, Annual Spring/Fall Turkey camp (at selected state park)!!!

i think we will! but, it seems my pickup lines dont work all to well. last time i tried, i had a flawless execution but the turkey ran!! guess they dont like the ol "are you a parking ticket? because you've got fine written all over you" line.  ;D   :G

Ha! Good comeback!  You would fit in fine at my turkey camp, brother!  And you have excellent company if you don't bring home a bird. No one has ever taken a bird at my P.A. Invitational Turkey Camp in 5 years! (Well, I did one year, but it was with a modern shotgun, ssssh, don't tell anyone.)
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2020, 10:42:35 am »
Hawkdancer

Ha! Good comeback!  You would fit in fine at my turkey camp, brother!  And you have excellent company if you don't bring home a bird. No one has ever taken a bird at my P.A. Invitational Turkey Camp in 5 years! (Well, I did one year, but it was with a modern shotgun, ssssh, don't tell anyone.)

I will someday make it to your turkey camps! I've read a lot about them on here! hopefully ill be good enough with a bow to use one! otherwise I'll need to just be the campfire boy! but also, turkey do get closer than deer. though on the hunt where i missed one that the turkey was going to walk right up to us! (I promise not to tell anyone! sometimes having a turkey is better than not having one whether or not what you use!!"