Author Topic: Backing serviceberry  (Read 935 times)

Offline Sagebrush

Backing serviceberry
« on: April 24, 2020, 11:52:27 am »
Hello all.  I live in central Washington where occasionly I can find a good stick of serviceberry to work with. I had a two year old log that was about  4 and a 1/2 inches in diameter and so I am making one self bow that is up to floor tiller and I have two half inch strips of bandsaw cut boards. This stuff is so stiff it is unbelievable.  I have quality bamboo and quarter sawn home depot Maple and was wondering if anybody had any experience or thoughts.  Thanks guys.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
Re: Backing serviceberry
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 01:01:59 am »
I have made some bows out of saskatoon, but all as selfbows. Here in my homeland it is very hard to find staves that are not twisted like hell. For backing I would try a thin bamboo slat.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Sagebrush

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 12:21:17 am »
Thanks Simpson!  This was the conclusion I had come to as well.  I Thinned out some boo strips today.  I'm thinking the combination is going to be unbelievably stiff.  I will post some results in a week or two.  Again, thank you for your thoughts.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 12:33:02 am »
Yep serviceberry is a great bow wood. Doesn’t really need a backing
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 01:40:48 pm »
I have made several bows out of serviceberry and my experience is that it does not require a backing.
Gordon

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2020, 02:59:27 pm »
I have made several bows out of serviceberry and my experience is that it does not require a backing.

Me too :)