Author Topic: My new Hornbow  (Read 24480 times)

Offline simk

Re: My new Hornbow
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2020, 07:17:58 am »
Sinew has completly dried now and reflexed it to 17"  ;D Just for cosmetics I will do some two little sinew patches, mount tips and even thicknesses on the limbs. Then - when in the right mood - I'll string it. Sure gonna be lots of fun  ;D

The bow in this stadium is almost 100gramms heavier than the last, despite very similar layout. But its more sinew, thicker horns, thicker handle and heavier core wood. I estimate finished bow to be about 570 gramms instead of 500 of the last. It probably also will pull a few more #
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 07:21:50 am by simk »
--- the queen rules ----

Offline DC

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2020, 10:04:17 am »
Good luck! I'll be hiding behind that tree over there ;) ;)

bownarra

« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2020, 01:12:25 am »
Yes good luck.

Offline simk

« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2020, 05:12:53 am »
 thanks guys! our team has just safely reached advanced base camp no5. while my nerves are hurting a little, my mate still seems to be very strong and in good shape. forecasts are excellent so we plan to reach summit soon  (-S
--- the queen rules ----

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2020, 06:01:19 am »
Looks good and plenty workable.The nervous stage is over with.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline DC

« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2020, 10:52:15 am »
That looks sweet :D :D

Offline simk

« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2020, 01:43:59 pm »
yes ED, will probably have to loose almost 1mm of horn to get into my 50# range. enough room for corrections and create a good safety margin. will have to sharpen that scraper again  ;D thanks DC (-S
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 01:51:52 pm by simk »
--- the queen rules ----

bownarra

« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2020, 12:17:10 pm »
Good luck :)
She looks purdy already :)
Awaiting the full draw shot!

Offline simk

« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2020, 01:55:57 am »
Thanks bownarra! I'm taking it slowly now and try to learn some aligning tricks with heat and so on...
What would you suggest for everyday stringing a bow like this? I'm thinking about filing in some stringing grooves on this one but not sure if this makes sense...I think reflex finally set @ 11-13" and the bow will be around 50#. Is this possible with stringing grooves or is the risk of damaging too high, using a stringer? Carrying around that peg all the time seems a little annoying  ;D 
--- the queen rules ----

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2020, 08:46:06 am »
BowEd
Ed

Offline simk

« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2020, 09:19:17 am »
thanks ED! very cool thread and bow! did not know this one but will read it with pleasure. i'm coming from another school but its interesting to see how similar methods in building finally are. I was told that from 12" reflex the stringer method gets difficult and was interested in what you might say ✌️ need a nice stringer like yours...dont like the look of stringing grooves too much.
--- the queen rules ----

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2020, 10:29:29 am »
Bow in thread currently gets braced with primitive stringer from over 11" of reflex.It takes a steady hand to get the job done,but a lot faster and more convenient yet then using the peg board,or even the more portable peg board shown in thread.Reading the entire thread will show this.
Going beyond 12" does make things more unsteady yet so to speak,but I've done it enough times I know it's doable consistently.Once a person gets the handle to tips' height while stringing stability is a lot more stable.Getting there is where it takes a steady hand.
The stringing grooves of limb tips are there as an insurance because it is considered an actual recurve in the definition of recurves with the string resting on 2" of the tips belly.It might be that they were not needed.They are on there as an insurance.Tremendous stored energy there.Stringing grooves do not bother me in the looks department.Grooving them in did not compromise the strength any if that is your question.It still is at least 1/2" thickness of tips where the string grooves are located.I use a 3 ply fast flight string.
I will say though that stringing a horn bow this way works fine for under 60#'s.When a person gets to 80,90,or 100#'s it becomes more difficult yet.I would say a peg board or tepeliks are your options then just for safety's sake.
PS...Making a bow press  would be a god thing.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 07:50:06 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

bownarra

« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2020, 11:59:07 am »
Stringing grooves will work fine. Use some good overlay material and they will be strong enough.
I either use the push/pull method or a stringer. If there is somebody around I bend it over my knees and get them to put the string in place.

Offline simk

« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2020, 02:18:56 pm »
thank you both - these are a few good things to know! should work with a stringer, thats fine! But I bet you could scrap your bow doing it wrong. Maybe go for the peg again when its not shot over longer period of time and in full reflex.
Mine now was on the peg more than 3/4 of time, since last saturday. starts to behave better. after being  braced 10 hours its 9 or 10" reflex. 3 hours later its 13" again.
Today started bending it a little and shot a few arrows short drawing. Couriosity made me take some measurments. I'm not far away. Its time for fine tiller and fd  ;D   
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 02:56:04 pm by simk »
--- the queen rules ----

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2020, 04:08:18 pm »
I have no doubt you will come to your own process which is convenient for you.They are meant to be strung long periods of time.I call them creatures of their own compared to selfbows.Very resilient as you know.It's good it's settling in for you.As long as you don't pull past your intended draw weight it should keep every bit of reflex,or that you don't remove too much horn.It'll be a very nice bow.The light is getting brighter at the end of the tunnel.
I like giving the FG boys fits with their self made kit bows.I always like how the draw weight transition lessons or lightens through mid draw with the beginning being high.
While using the stringer it will want to flip or roll over on a person unless you are pulling straight up in line with limbs.There's really no danger to ones' self or the bow if this happens as I've seen.If it happens it will happen right away as you begin to pull and it will tell you that it is'nt in line.
Be sure of  proper placement of pressure on  handle and center of string while pulling otherwise bow could string up out of tiller.Easily adjusted though with string pressure to belly on stronger limb.
I just restrung mine from at least a month of not shooting it.The 3D shoots in my state are back on schedule with my friends.Just as stable and in tiller as it always has been.Settles in quickly.It is over 3 years old now.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 11:01:27 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed