Author Topic: Tillering without a Weight scale?  (Read 1008 times)

Offline PatrickH

Tillering without a Weight scale?
« on: April 30, 2020, 04:42:08 pm »
So I broke my weight scale when tillering a new bow. I ordered a new (better) one on Amazon and am just waiting for it to arrive in the mail. But while waiting I grabbed an old failed bow (it was one of my early ones that I tillered too wet and had a huge amount of set) it had been laying in a pile of wood in my storage room for like 5 years, and I decided to cut it down a lot shorter and start tillering it without a weight scale (just pulling it to a weight that feels good to draw) I figured for most of bow history bowyers didn't have draw weight measurement scales. I am just practicing on that old failed bow to get a feel for it. Does anybody have any advice for tillering by feel? Does anybody recommend it or does anybody think its a bad idea? What are the communities thoughts on tillering in that manner?
Muskegon Mi.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Tillering without a Weight scale?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 04:54:38 pm »
Do as you are doing, tiller to what feels right to you. Be aware every time you draw the bow and if you see a problem, stop and repair the problem then continue on.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 05:02:50 pm »
I've never owned a bow scale  of any sort.

Offline Bubbabowyer

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2020, 05:21:02 pm »
I do my bows without a scale or tree. I bend them on my knee watching the limb bend evenly at a weight that I can pull consistently. Each limb together until brace height then I smooth it out from there. I love trying to feel the wood resist the bend and let off before going further and scraping the stiff areas until it comes to brace height smoothly.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2020, 05:33:34 pm »
I don't use a stick or tree....floor tiller,then by brace.with lots of practice it comes slowly.just remember mistakes happen and they are how to learn..
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2020, 05:44:15 pm »
A bathroom scale will work, you just need a notched wooden rod to hold the string while you push down.

I have made a lot of bows for other people, a scale is a must so the bow will be the poundage they asked for.

Offline PatrickH

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2020, 07:00:33 pm »
Okay thanks for the help guys. I am just making it for myself so no need to be anything other what feels good to shoot for the bowyer. i have been trying to tiller it by looking at its shadow (I think that was an idea I got from one of the TBB's but dont remember which one) I imagine I will ruin a few, which is partially why I am attempting it with an old stave that had over 4in of string follow already (and some cosmetic issues) so I can't really make it any worse than it was before I shortened it. I like that this forum is always useful comments and helpful people (most internet forums are not quite so helpful lol)
Muskegon Mi.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2020, 07:47:44 pm »
Like others have said you don't need a scale to tiller a bow - unless you are making it to sell to someone, then you probably ought to use one.
Gordon

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2020, 09:01:21 pm »
     I had a scale but when making bows just for myself didn't always use it. When I was feeling a bit stronger the bows would come out in the low 60's, If I hadn't shot for some time they tended to come out in the low 50's. After I retired I took a couple or years where I didn't shoot and made what I thought was about 50# and it was actually 38#.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2020, 08:16:12 am »
I'd wait for the scale. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!