Author Topic: 2020 Victory Gardens  (Read 39447 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: 2020 Victory Gardens
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2020, 08:27:59 am »
We planted a 100' row of okra, a few tomatoes and peppers and some zinnias for color this weekend. Now getting a good rain to water it in, about 1 3/4" since yesterday morning.
 Haven't done a big garden for a few years after deer, crows, ground hogs(who would have thunk they eat tomato plants and okra plants) and late blight(looks like frost hit the veg over night in late summer) put a hurting on the garden over a 3 or 4 year period.
 We already had spinach growing over the winter(under a cloche) and replanted it this weekend.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2020, 08:12:06 pm »
Here are my potatoes that I planted in last year's target bales.  So far, so good.  We will see what they look like in August or September.  I also have Tomatoes, Garlic, Jalapenos, and basil planted.  Around my yard there are also grapes, two apple trees (one of which produces primarily arrow shoots), oregano, rosemary, and some raspberries.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2020, 08:47:02 pm »
Taters look good, Jeff.   Might have to try that next year.  Keep us posted on how they produce.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline HH~

« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2020, 03:42:15 pm »
I like that.

Mine are in dirt.

Have had a cool wet spring. Have a azz load of lettuce of different variety and Huge radishes. Arugula in first plantings is about ready to go to seed. Getting pepery but have more in staggered planting dates. Cabbages are heading up now.
Melons are up as well as summer squash.

Got to get rest of my tomatoes & peppers  in!!

HH~

MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2020, 11:55:24 pm »
Got hops up over 6' (Mt. Hoods). Raspberry plant should bloom soon, likely the new buyer will have strawberry shortcake and/or blueberry pie! 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2020, 07:44:57 pm »
Well, things were going great until last night when a frost wiped out about half of my corn, most of my buckwheat, and all of my potatoes.  This despite my getting up at 3 am to spray them down, and again at 5:30.  The taters and some of the corn will probably bounce back, but the buckwheat might just be a loss.  Bummer.  Hate to give up on good pancakes and GREAT chicken feed.  I might replant it if I can find any more seed.

Oats are doing great, though, as are the tomatoes and melons (protected by those water wall things).  We're going to be up to our necks in sugar peas, lettuce, and spinach in a couple weeks.  If it's frost hardy, I can grow it.  But when Mother Nature decides something ain't happening, she usually gets her way.

Mrs. Badger decided to get chickens.  We built a nice coop and now we have about 20 red rangers for meat and grasshopper patrol, plus a dozen or so wyandottes (my favorite breed) and Rhode Island Reds to keep long-term for eggs.  We're building the chicken run in a 4' wide perimeter around the garden, so any grasshoppers that want to get in have to run the gauntlet.   >:D

We're also getting a lab puppy next week.  Just another mellow, low-key summer around Badger Manor...
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline HH~

« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2020, 07:19:25 am »
I heard snow came to higher elevations last nite. Sure is hardscrabble in the high country. Sorry bout yer luck! Potatoe top will freeze but will resprout. The tuber will still be growing under ground! Dont pull them out!

Hedge~

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2020, 01:08:52 am »
I think most everything that ain't froze out, done blew away!  Wind over 75 mph, rain, hail, down low and snow level to 7500 feet in some areas!  No freeze here, though, just busting our butts with packing and loading out!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2020, 06:54:38 am »
Thanks, Shawn.  Most of the corn is bouncing back, and I planted my buckwheat really thick, so even if I lose 2/3 of it I'll still get a crop.  Jerry, it's been windier than a bean-eating politician around here, too.  We finished fencing the chicken run yesterday.  So most of the big projects are done and it's pretty much down to maintenance now.

Later this week I complete my 49th trip around the sun.  Ribeyes, hiking, and hugs from my girls are in the forecast.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 06:58:35 am by WhistlingBadger »
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline HH~

« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2020, 05:21:45 pm »
Having a cooler wave right now. Pool is 80 degrees and air was 58 this morning. Looked like dry ice this morning!

Took a bunch of tomatoes plants and goat fence wire rings to him and we put them in. Man, hes got fine dirt on his place. I told him we could put a 2 acre garden in here and make 50k easy selling organics to the Snowflakes  and BoHo shiek Kali transplants in Nashville!

Raise a good crop of dental floss too!

They’d buy 10k in Arugula alone and its easy as growing dandelions!

HH

Offline HH~

« Reply #70 on: June 19, 2020, 05:53:25 am »
!0lbs of kraut on its way fermenting from the 2020 Wuhan Garden.

HH~

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #71 on: June 19, 2020, 02:40:48 pm »
Looks good, Shawn.  We had frost the past couple nights.  Set the rainbirds to come on from 2-6:30 a.m. and saved everything. Supposed to warm up now, so I think we're good!
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline HH~

« Reply #72 on: June 19, 2020, 03:05:40 pm »
I saw the snow up higher this last week!

Kohlrabis coming in now as well.

Warm stuff will be late unless you kept them in hot house y til May 5th here.

Coolest spring in 100yrs here.

Some much for Greenie Earth Muffins crying about the hot death winds killing all crops this yeAr.
They dont organic garden by hand either i dont think.

HH~

HH~

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #73 on: June 28, 2020, 04:36:47 pm »
Well, things are going well in the Badger garden now that we babied everything through the late frosts.

Here's the whole garden, chicken coop, and people coop in the background.  The double fence is the chicken run, laid out so they can help control the grasshoppers.
2020 Victory Garden by Thomas Wilson, on Flickr

My new assistant, Tayo
Tayo by Thomas Wilson, on Flickr

Peas (broken arrows for poles), greens, pumpkins, and oats
IMG_20200628_153830 by Thomas Wilson, on Flickr

Peas and oats
IMG_20200628_153817 by Thomas Wilson, on Flickr

Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2020, 04:43:04 pm »
blue corn and black bean patch
IMG_20200628_153809 by Thomas Wilson, on Flickr

Tomatoes and melons in the water walls.  Beets and carrots struggled in our clay, they they've been replanted and they're coming up again.
IMG_20200628_153805 by Thomas Wilson, on Flickr

Buckwheat.  Most of this will be for wintering the chickens; a bit will be for pancakes.
IMG_20200628_153755 by Thomas Wilson, on Flickr

Taters!
IMG_20200628_153748 by Thomas Wilson, on Flickr

Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour